(800) 973-1540

Can hypothyroidism cause foot pain?

1 answer | Last updated: Apr 04, 2014
lor.lu asked...
Can hypothyroidism cause foot pain? My feet and ankles hurt me all the time. Sometimes I can barely move my foot without it being painful.

Answers

Untreated hypothyroidism can cause muscle and joint related symptoms all over the body. Common musculoskeletal complaints include generalized muscular weakness and pain. Hypothyroidism can also lead to arthropathy, which causes See also:
Does guided imagery really control cancer-related pain?
joint pain, achiness, and stiffness. Other musculoskeletal issues that can occur with hypothyroidism include tendonitis of the extremities, carpal tunnel syndrome (pain, tingling, weakness, or numbness in the hands), or tarsal tunnel syndrome (like carpal tunnel, but in the feet).

If you are being adequately treated (your blood tests show that your thyroid levels are OK) for hypothyroidism, and you are still having symptoms, something else may be going on with you. I would then ask your health care provider to address the foot and ankle pain that you suffer from. You may need to see a rheumatologist or othopedist for an in depth evaluation of your pain complaints. Good luck!