(800) 973-1540

How would constipation cause a urinary tract infection?

charlie marie asked...
My Mom is 88 and has advanced Alzheimers'. Her doctors say her constipation triggers her bladder or kidney infections. I am curious as to how this could happen. Thanks.

Answers

Constipation can increase the chances of bladder infections in two ways. First, if stool gets stuck in the rectum, it inhibits the emptying of the bladder, which can cause some See also:
Is there anything I can take to relieve constipation due to pain medication?

See all 35 questions about Urinary Tract Infections Answers
people to retain urine. Urine retention leads to stagnant urine, which is a breeding ground for microbial growth, which will lead to a bladder infection.

The other way that constipation can lead to bladder infections is if someone takes too many laxatives to treat the constipation, they can get diarrhea. Diarrhea stool can easily contaminate the perineal area, since the rectum is only a few inches from the urethra, the opening of the bladder. Also, after female menopause, there is a decrease in the protective normal vaginal bacteria, so if stool bacteria gets into that area it can easily grow and travel into the bladder.

cc49 answered...

wow this is a complete merry go-round answer if u do this you'll get that, if you don't do this you'll end up with that. and all that is a UTI which i was talking about that my mom gets constantly at the nursing home geeezzzz. there's no happy ending to UTI's is there????

CA-Claire answered...

Actually, recurrent UTI's and constipation can also indicate an insufficient intake of water. This is a problem with seniors, who either forget to drink water, have forgotten how little they have had, or they realize the more they drink, the more they go to the bathroom. All in all, it's a merry-go-round. No easy answers.

To help my father, we have him on stool softeners, have him drink at least 2 bottles of water a day, and on a diuretic.

cc49 answered...

Hi, I can't get her to drink water at all ..."ive tried bottled water she doesn't like it, she hates the water they have up there...i am lost as to what to do. I've tried flavored water nothing!!! any info/ideas would be great

CA-Claire answered...

Does she cough when drinking liquids? You could try mixing a little knox gelatin in, or really, really diluted jello in her favorite flavor and call it a milk shake. She may be from an area where the water was 'unsafe' to drink. Try any clear liquid - broth, iced tea?

Wow Ive been having this problem for 15yrs and Im only 28! I often feel that my bowels get stuck right by my tail bone area. Is that related??? What are your thought about D mannose?