(800) 973-1540

How do I get the stains and smell associated with urine out of a recliner?

Answers

It's not easy removing urine stains or smell from fabric, including upholstered furniture. You may want to hire a carpet or upholstery-cleaning company, but tell them first what you need, See also:
How can I tell whether my father's incontinence after his stroke is temporary?

See all 157 questions about Incontinence
to see if they think they can help. This is a more expensive route, and it may cost almost as much to get a new chair.

Some people have found success with products for pet urine, found in any pet store. I've also heard that rubbing alcohol may work. Dampen the stain with rubbing alcohol then blot it up with a dry rag. If you do an on-line search with "cleaning urine stains" you'll find all kinds of information. This is a common problem!

I also strongly encourage you to give some thought to why this is happening. Incontinence is NOT normal. It could signify a bigger problem. You didn't mention who is causing the stains, but this person should be checked out by a doctor. Medications may be to blame (diuretics for heart problems or high blood pressure can make people urinate more). Also, a urinary tract infection should be ruled out.

There are several ways to treat incontinence. Some medications may reduce or even eliminate the problem. Behavioral interventions may work, where people with incontinence are taught to toilet regularly, before feeling the urge. You should also limit fluids before bedtime, as this can lessen the amount of urine made at night. Also, caffeine (in sodas, tea, coffee) can make urgency worse, so try to limit these kinds of fluids.

Finally, take steps to protect the furniture. Many kinds of personal incontinence pads are available in the store. They can be expensive, but helpful in reducing embarrassing accidents. There are pads, panty liners, and diapers --- made for men and women. You can buy these on the internet, or in most regular drug stores. You can also get waterproof mattress pads.

justmari answered...

to get rid of smell is 2 cups peroxide 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 drops of liquid soap. check for colorfast first but I would rather have discolloration than smell this is to work on protein in urine not a light spray this needs to soak in like the urine and let it work its magic the soap foams when contact urine . good luck this is great for skunk spray

Peroxide bleached out my carpet-I used odorbully and injected it into a mattress using a syringe it took the odor out no scents or anything it smells like nothing! It does not cost that much like $12 and the shipping was free I got it at www.odorbully.com