(800) 973-1540

How can I get paid for taking care of parents?

kiefer asked...

Answers

There are two ways you might get paid for taking care of your parents -- in addition to your parents paying you directly. Depending on the rules in your state, See also:
Is there any financial aid for a child to quit their job and care for their parent?
you might be able to get paid as a home care aide if your parents qualify for the state's Medicaid program and Medicaid providing them with home care. But for you to get paid to provide that home care, you'd have to be certified by the state as a home care provider. To get certified, you have to go through training that meets state and Medicaid requirements. Such training is often available for low fees at local community colleges or adult schools. One place to start finding out about getting certified is your county's local social services or human services department; ask them about Medicaid caregiver certification. Or, you can use an Internet search engine -- in the search field, enter the name of your state plus the words "Medicaid paid caregiver."

Another way to get paid is if your parents have long-term care insurance and they qualify for the insurance policy's home care benefits. Some long-term care insurance policies only pay for home care that is provided through a licensed home care agency. But other policies pay for care provided by individual aides if they are certified by the state as home care aides. And still other policies pay a daily benefit amount directly to the insured person, who can turn around and use it pay anyone. If your parents have such a policy, carefully read the sections of the policy that describe home care benefits.

Im still me! answered...

im in ga and been bedridden for yrs now,i can walk with assistance, my daughter is 20 and was even discharged from the army because of the hardship of my health, she cant work shes with me all the time, i didnt know i could get her paid, im on permanent disablility, and right now with a broke hip since 08 that just wont heal, how do i get her paid for having no life??? I have medicaire and also a minor 17 yr old daughter.

winternatt answered...

A man diagnosed with dementia and cancer is renting from me,he was releaded from the hospital and has hospice coming by ,he wants me to look after him also ,he lives upstairs and I have access to him,my question is how do I get compensated for caring for him,he needs 24 hour care ,he cant leave the house.He worked for GM and has Medicaid,blue cross I think.If I cant care for him its possible he will have to go to a nursing home and he likes it here. he lives in Michigan

I have a father who needs care 24-7 can I get paid for taking carof him?

needler answered...

dear i'm still me!

I found this info at this web page:

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/browse-by-category/category/MED

(these are links to the state agencies)

this is californias rules to qualify for medicade (called medical in california): but your state may have the same this is a quote from General Program Requirements: "In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the State of California, a US national, citizen, permanent resident, or legal alien, in need of health care/insurance assistance, whose financial situation would be characterized as low income or very low income. You must also be either pregnant, blind, have a disability or a family member in your household with a disability, be responsible for children under 19 years of age, or be 65 years of age or older. "

Painter4You answered...

Mr. Matthews has it right on. I'm taking care of my 97 yr old mother alone at home. I became ill 3 yrs ago and had to stop working. We've been living on her SSI and stock dividends. We don't qualify for any state or Federal aid due to her "income", good health and her/my assets. Guess you must be destitute to get any help. I'm better now and ready to get back to work. I'll have to start selling her stocks to pay for a home health aide to free me up. I'll also use some of the procedes to pay for eye and dental surgery to correct problems that arose the past 3 yrs. plus help me promote a new business venture since I can't paint anymore. Was told I could treat these used procedes as deferred wages for staying home with mom.

brewercares answered...

I own a state licensed home care agency in Nashville, TN. On two occasions, I have had clients who had long-term care insurance that required the services to be provided by a state licensed agency, and family members wanted to care for their own parents. I engaged them as caregivers with my company, paid them as I would any caregiver on staff, and long-term care insurance paid for the care. Easy solution in such a case.