I want to know how to become certifed for home health care for my mother?

Can I take classes to become certified for home health care, but only for my mother? I can see the changes in my mother and I want to be prepared for the future. She is 83 years old and I woudl be willing to quit my job and take care of her if need be. But, I also need to be financially secure.
For this question:

Answers

You ask an excellent question, and one that's on the minds of many. So much so that many states have "family caregiver"programs for Medicaid recipients (the government health See also:
When a Parent Moves In: How to Get Your House Ready

See all 356 questions about Paying for Care
plan for people who are low income or disabled). If your parent is Medicaid eligible this may be an option for you. You'll need to check with the local agency that handles Medicaid (In California it's called Medical), which is usually the county. These programs handle training and all of the employment paperwork. They also set the salary, which often isn't high, but must be at least minimum wage. The details of these programs vary state by state.

If your mother isn't Medicaid eligible, and you feel you need extra training to care for her, check out courses at your local community college. They usually offer a variety of certificate programs for medical assistants and nursing aides. Private schools offer the same training. (Check on-line with the name of your town and the terms "medical assistant training" or "health aide training." You'll need to talk to individual schools about program lengths, and financial aid or student loan programs.

You are showing a wonderful combination of practical planning and caring. I hope you find an option that works for you and for your mom.

If you can go online and see if you can take what they call "Healthcare Aide". I'm not sure if they will give you all but at least its a start. If you were in my state I would gladly send you the books that I have just so your somewhat up to par at caregiving.I have taken notes etc. that fill 2 binders, their is step one and two. I have my Diploma. If you think that this may help you pls.let me know by personnal email. I will do whatever it is to help you. I have to commend you for wanting to do this for your mom. Their are steps as to bed bathing, making bed while she is in it. Incontinentcy,eating habits etc.what to watch for as she ages etc. I will help you in whatever it takes. You are a wonderful person to think ahead and to have the love for your mother to care for her. So many would want them put in homes which is so very unfortunate. Take care and hope to hear from you, Rita

Hi Judy,

I have been a full time 24/7/365 caregiver for my Mom for well over 7 years. I left my 25 yr. career to care for her, and never looked back. She suffered a significant stroke at the age of 80, and of course our lives changed in an instant. I love both answers that have been posted so far. However, if you are in a position where you cannot break away to take classes, you might seek out help from the hospital. They have the professional Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapists that are familiar with your Mom's condition, and what her current care requirements are, as well as what she may require in the future. They can give you some "O.J.T." on how to help your Mom, and it doesn't get any better than that. That is what they did with me, and to this day, 7+ years later, the training has been invalueable. Without it, we would never have been able to manage living at home, and I am so grateful each and every day for what they taught me. There is so much that is involved, and what each person requires is different. It can become overwhelming very quickly. While I have no degree or diploma, I have extensive experience in dealing with all aspects of caring for a stroke patient, and would also be more than happy to help you in any way I can. I also commend you for wanting to take care of your Mom! Please feel free contact me here for my email address, should you wish to communicate further. All the best to both you & your Mom! Robin p.s. As for the financial aspect of it, not knowing your living or family situation, I don't know what advice I could offer. If you are not living together, I would suggest taking steps to make that happen. If you are living together, you can manage to get by on whatever retirement and/or SS income your Mom gets...it is not easy to cut back at first, but you can do it.