How quickly can Alzheimer's progress?

Temi asked...
My father was diagnosed in January 2008 with Alzheimer's, after a psychotic episode on a train. He rapidly went to late-stage and then end-stage and passed away very quickly on December 23, 2009. He was 76. I have not heard of someone with this aggressive form of Alzheimer's. Do you have any information on this that might help me to understand?

Answers
Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of...

Alzheimer's disease is usually diagnosed at least three years after the onset of symptoms. Your father might have the disease even longer before being diagnosed because psychosis appears relatively late in the course of Alzheimer's disease. Progression of Alzheimer's disease is accelerated by changes of the blood vessels in the brain resulting in small strokes. Your father might have these changes as well because combination of Alzheimer's disease and vascular changes that may themselves cause dementia is often found when brains of individuals dying with dementia are examined.

Your experience sounds a little like mine. Maybe he had Vascular Dementia which is much quicker than Alzheimer's. Sometimes, they use the words interchangeably. He may had other physical systems that people don't associate with dementia for a number of years. (Like trouble with gait/walking-dizziness). My dad died 10 months after a true diagnosis but had physical problems for years. He also passed all the cognitive tests for years.