(800) 973-1540

How much income can I make while receiving social security?

I am curious as to how the Social Security system views working while collecting Social Security. Approximately how much can one receive working while collecting Social Security? According to the paperwork I receive, I currently am eligible for $700 a month which will not cover all my expenses so I am concerned. I am 55 and,if I am able,I would like to work until at least 65. Please advise.(that is if Social Security will still exist!)

Answers

Once you reach what Social Security calls "full retirement age," you can work and earn as much money as you want without any reduction in your Social Security retirement benefits. See also:
Which Social Security Benefits Are You Eligible For?

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
For someone your age now, full retirement age will be 66 (not 65, as it was for most of Social Security's history).
However, you don't have to wait until full retirement age to collect Social Security retirement benefits. You could collect your Social Security retirement benefits as early as age 62. But if you collect those benefits at any time before you reach full retirement age, two different rules would affect how much your benefits are.

First, your retirement benefit amount would be permanently reduced by a bit more than 0.5 percent for each month you claim it before you reach age 66. If you live a long life, this could mean the loss of tens of thousands of dollars in benefits over your lifetime.

Second, if you continue working after you claim Social Security benefits at less than full retirement age, those benefits would be reduced if you earn over a certain amount. Until you reach full retirement age, Social Security would reduce your benefits by $1 for every $2 you earned over a set yearly limit. (In 2009, the limit is $14,160.) This limit applies only to income you earn from current work, not from any pensions, investments, or other sources of income not derived from work you are doing at the time.

angelamaria answered...

how much money can my wife and I can make on interest and annuity, I'm on social security and I don't want to be paying lots of money for penalty on my social security. What is the amount for year 2009.

Paul as the apostle answered...

Inside My Heart

I have searched for peace and tranquility, but have never found them within my heart, for inside there is turmoil and discontent, leaving me with sadness and frustration. There are times when I feel anger and hate, but yet I have great Love for those around me, those who give me their Love and kindness, those who soften the reality of this life I lead. If it were not for the one's I care about and Love, then my humble existence would be destroyed, sent to who knows where, perhaps my private Hell, where I would find my soul on fire. Maybe my Savior would find me and save me, stretching his hand out and taking me home, a place that will be filled with goodness, a place that I will find peace, within my heart- for all eternity!

By Paul as the apostle 2-19-11

This Poem Is for Joseph, Love through Jesus Christ Our Savior

Thanks again, you were most helpful, for I am a 66 yrs. old, in need of help and you gave me the answer! By the way s.s. gives me a whooping $731.00 per month and my wife and I barely make it through each month. She needs eye surgery and if I can find a job, it sure would help.

San Diego girl answered...

I just turned 62 and have retired I have applied for social security benefits . I rent my condo for about 1500 a month before property taxes Hoa fees etc. my benefits will be 633 a month. Will I be penalized for the condo rent ?

nashoa answered...

There are lots of ways you can work at home and earn good money For example, marketing via e-mail to tangible products and electronic products Digital products and the marketing of products and companies take a commission rewarding and much much more But you need to take the right path and a good plan and the most important thing do not despair Unfortunately a lot of people give up and get bored quickly This work needs patience to see in your mind and your heart to what you love and work in what is witty Will fail in the beginning do not give up because the first is the failure continued success and continued whatever the circumstances And you will reach your goal, God willing, finally luck to you and all . Here are some ways to find market and ideas that will help you : The Graphics Firesale[youtube.com] FREE INCOME APP[youtube.com] Golden Goose Method[youtube.com] Commission Jailbreak[youtube.com] The Magic Of Making Up[youtube.com] Make Money With Meghan[youtube.com] CB Passive Income[youtube.com] Rocket French[youtube.com] Weight Loss Program[youtube.com] Affiliate X[youtube.com]

cissies answered...

I am 73 years old and had to go back to work.........,I earn $300.00 to $600.00 a month I have the usual taxes, social security,etc. taken out of my check,.....My question is, will my social security ever go up to reflect the social security I am paying. Is there a certain amount I have to earn before my S.S. will increase?