How long does it take to regain speech after a stroke?

My uncle had a stroke two months ago. His recovery has been good so far. The stroke affected his right side slightly but the worst part is that his speech is gone. He can say a fey words like yes, no and ok. Its very hard to talk to him and he gets upset when he can't talk back. I was just wondering how long does it usually take for his speech to come back?

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

Unfortunately, speech disturbance is one aspect that recovers slowly, if ever. In general, recovery from a stroke is not as predictable as it is in other diseases. Take for example See also:
Stroke Rehabilitation: What to Expect

See all 446 questions about Stroke
a broken arm: you set the bone, place a cast, wait a few weeks, and the bone recovers. In stroke, although improvement from the initial symptoms is the rule, there is a tremendous amount of variability in the degree of progress. Although some patients return to normal, many others make only modest strides, and some have little or no improvement. In general, the vast majority of recovery is seen in the first 6 months after the stroke, although people often tell stories of continued recovery out to 2 years.

prof. woman answered...

As a speech pathologist who specializes in speech/language therapy post-stroke, I can tell you that there is no quick or easy recovery of communication function. I recommend a speech evaluation to determine diagnosis, (there are several tyes), and prognosis. It is not accurate or fair to compare one person's recovery to another, due to the many variables affecting speech/language, including: location and extent of brain trauma ,age and health, and how quickly and frequently speech services are implemented. Good luck!

My mom had a stroke September 2009, she left the hospital after 6 weeks with very little speech, just yes/no, the rest was a nonsensical. Today, almost 18 months after her stroke, 6 months of outpatient speech therapy and she continued speech therapy at a local university's speech clinic. Her improvments have slowed down but she continues to get additional speech back. We are able to have telephone conversations, chat during dinner (mostly w/ leading questions from me) and she can communicate how she is feeling. The speech is still choppy but we are learning to live with our 'new normal'. Keep the faith and a positive attitude...and practice, practice, practice.

Tonia R. answered...

My mother had a massive stroke May 2011, 11 hours had past before she was found having the stroke. My mom is 68 years of age with heart disease and 3 types of cancer. The stroke affected the right side leaving a large portion of her brain damaged, so I was told by her Neurologist. She is unable to walk or talk or do much of anything for herself without my assistance. Mom went through a year of speech therapy which basically helped us to communicate better using gestures. She is able to make sounds and that's it. I recently asked her doctor if he thought she would ever be able to talk again and his honest opinion was that after 2 years and with very little progress, it would take a miracle but not impossible. Some people go years without speaking and miraculously begin to speak, so I'm still hopeful this will be my mothers case. This disability still frustrates her at times but she's learning to cope with it.