How long does chemo last?

4 answers | Last updated: Feb 26, 2014
patchy111 asked...
What's the typical length of chemo and how often? Every 2 weeks?

Answers
Senior Editor Melanie Haiken, who is responsible for Caring.com's coverage of cancer, general health, and family finance, discovered how important it is to provide accurate...

Chemotherapy is a very broad term, so it depends on what type of cancer you have, which drugs you will be taking, and how you'll be taking them. (Some drugs See also:
Which systems in the body are affected by chemotherapy?

See all 764 questions about Cancer
are given orally, some by IV, some by at-home injection.)

Chemotherapy can be given for a very limited period of time, or it can be ongoing to keep the cancer under control. Doctors often discuss chemotherapy in terms of cycles, which can be confusing. There are many different drugs used and each drug can be given in a number of different "regimens" either by itself or in combination with other drugs. A chemotherapy regimen could be once a week for eight weeks, or once every two weeks for 8 cycles, which totals 16 weeks, or once every two weeks for six cycles, totalling 12 weeks.

Next time you see or talk to your doctor, ask her to be very specific about which chemotherapy drugs you are taking, how often you will be having chemotherapy, and how long your treatment will last. It's important to know this so you can plan for what to expect.

TXLADY answered...
I took chem. once a week for 8weeks. I have non small cell lung cancer in the lower part of right lung. I also took radition 5 days a week for 8 weeks. The cancer was the size of a quarter. The ct scan in January 08 showed it was the size of a dime. I have another scan the 25 of April.

Hempangel answered...

I am so sorry the the people of the US have to go through all this barbarack health treatment.I just got back from Spain and you don't have to do this there.They have doctors that can cure your cancers without chemo and radiation.Spains way doesn't hurt anything around the cancer and the cancer eat themselves up in 4 days,not hurting you in any way.I went over ther with a friend that had gone through chemotherapy before leaving the US and they couldn't do anything for them until the chemo leveled out.They can cure you with baking soda.Someway they can stick a tube up inside you and put a small sprayer in it and spray the cancer with a fine mist of baking soda and the cancer is gone in 4 days and it doesn't hurt the rest of your body.You back to work in no time.Ain't that what it's all about.Getting back to work.What have you got to loose.You could have a heart attack using chemotherapy and radiation and die earlly than you should have.If you think that your number is up it might be a lie or a trick.Go for it live awhile longer if you can and help other people learn about safer ways to cure themselves.Run From the Cure by Rick Simpson on You Tube is another cure that everybody can use without a doctor.Peop[le could live for over 150 yrs with this stuff and keep working.