(800) 973-1540

How can I help my mother lose weight?

otlauram asked...

Answers

I completely understand this concern. Trying to change bad eating habits and lose weight can be very discouraging. It sounds like you have expressed your concern to your mother and See also:
What's the best way to help my 250-pound father walk?

See all 159 questions about Diet and Nutrition
I think this is important but try not to fight with her about it. Try to stay on the supportive and encouraging side. You could try encouraging her to go on nightly or morning walks (as her physician allows). Dieting is hard to do on your own. Would she consider a program like Weight Watchers where dietitians are involved? There are also fitness centers like Curves and YMCA's which help women with weight loss through exercise. Senior centers often offer exercise classes; and it can help to be with peers. I would encourage programs like this. Perhaps you could offer to check them out with her. Also, your mother's doctor could possibly recommend her to some kind of nutrition clinic at her local hospital where a dietitian will work specifically with her.

I'm sure your mother would like to lose the weight as well but one thing is for sure, weight loss is difficult. I would just advise you to be as supportive as possible and try to encourage some of these recommendation.

what helps is by showing her videos eg.from youtube;tai chi, qi gong exercises combined with dieting.it strengthens body , mind,discipline and definitely will loose wieght. bring her on a trip to shanghai or guangzhou,china and you'll see a lot of the locals;aunties,uncles doing these exercises with little difficulties.

Dance class - she'll meet new people, have some fun and get exercise at the same time!

CaringDenise answered...

Hi "otlauram," I'm sorry to hear about your concerns for your mom's health. Adding to the other tips you've received, here are some informational resources on Caring.com that you may likewise find helpful...

10 Things Not to Say to Someone Who's Trying to Lose Weight -- and what works better

7 Foods That Help You Lose Weight

5 Secrets to Lifelong Weight Loss

You might also find it helpful to participate in our Caring for a Parent online support group: http://www.caring.com/support-groups/caring-for-a-parent -- to get more feedback and encouragement from other caregivers in similar situations as you.

Thank you for posting this question on Caring.com!