How do I get my dad out of the bathtub?

4 answers | Last updated: Feb 08, 2014
How do I get my dad out of the bathtub? If you're having a difficult time getting your dad out of the tub, I recommend having him use a shower chair. This is a lightweight plastic chair that sits securely on the floor of a shower or tub. Shower chairs are standard in any medical or hospital supply store. A shower chair can be used in the tub or a shower stall. It's much easier to get in and out than the tub. You may need to steady your dad to help him get on and off the chair, but you shouldn't have to do much lifting. Your dad can shower in a chair (with the spray on his back or away from his face), or, wash off using cups of water from the tap.

Answers

This is a good question becase if your dad can't get out of the tub my himself, he probably isn't safe and secure bathing. It's time for some adaptions. You See also:
Bathing Your Mom: A Step-by-Step Guide
should try using a shower chair, a sturdy plastic chair designed just for tubs or shower stalls. Shower chairs are sold at medical supply stores. Your dad can sit in the chair while he showers or while he splashes off with water from the tub tap. If he can't do this himself, you can wash him with cups of warm water from the tap. A shower chair will also help your dad get in the tub, and sit comfortably and securely while he bathes. You may also want to consider grab bars, which are also sold at medical supply stores. They can be attached to the tub and bathroom walls, to help your dad steady himself.

kymed answered...

In between at home care visits from our at home care nurse, I would use adult wipes to freshen my step father up between bathing schedules. I found that the moist wipes were very handy and they are thick + disposable. They did not dry out his skin because they do not contain alcohol! You can save trips to the store + money if you buy them in bulk! The ones I ordered were from twin med direct...here is the link for those wipes: http://www.twinmeddirect.com/wipes-premoistened-soft-packs.html

Caring.com User - Chris Moore
Chris Moore is a certified aging in place specialist (CAPS) and the founder and president of Solid Rock Enterprises, Inc. He is a contractor...

The bathroom is the one room in the house that is most often the site of accidents that can seriously limit a senior's ability to live independently, so are are wise to be concerned for your father's safety. If taking a bath rather than a shower is something your father enjoys, there are alternative ways to get him out of the bathtub after a bath. A bath lift is a seat that is at seat when raised and at the bottom of the tub when lowered. They usually operate on battery power or water pressure. If he is OK with a shower, then a shower chair as mentioned earlier is a good choice. I like the ones that bolt to the wall and fold up out of the way when not in use. I would definitely recommend strategically placed grab bars to help him get up off the lift or the shower chair. I hope this helps.

Homeability answered...

There are a number of great solutions for helping someone get in and out of a bathtub. Solutions range from simple bath boards that sit across the bathtub's walls, to portable chairs and benches, to benches that have seats that slide along a track, to bathtub chair slider systems with a detachable chair for transportation into/out of the bathroom, to wall lifts, floor mounted lifts, bath lifts and ceiling lifts. For more information, pictures, and pros and cons for these options see the following article: http://homeability.com/bathtub-transfer-chairs-lifts-benches/