Is forgetting words you intend to say a sign of Alzheimer's?

Taghi asked...
Can forgetting words be a sign of Alzheimer's?

Answers
Paula Spencer Scott, contributing editor, is the author of Surviving Alzheimer's. A Met Life Foundation Journalists in Aging fellow, she writes extensively about health...

Not necessarily, and by itself, not probably. Every adult has had the experience of a word being "on the tip of my tongue" or forgetting what she meant to say See also:
Should my mom's house remain unchanged even though she has memory problems?
next. Occasional forgetfulness does not mean you have Alzheimer's; it means your brain is aging just like anybody's, a process that starts in your 20s!

More problematic is forgetfulness that's frequent, unusual for a person, concerns names that were once familiar, and that is happening more and more often, and noticeably getting worse. This may (or may not) be a sign of Alzheimer's. Review the most common signs and try this quiz to determine the difference between normal memory loss and dementia.

Geri Hall answered...

Losing your train of thought is common in aging. There are multiple causes including stress, depression, menopause, thyroid problems, distractions such as multitasking,inattention, and normal aging. If you have a family member with AD you might also panic whenever you forget something out of frear of getting the disease. If we labeled every person in mid-to-late life who lose train of thought, everyone would have AD.

In dementia diagnostic clinics we look for more than one specific complaint when confirming dementia/AD such as increased problems with understanding your investments or planning a trip. But, for arguments sake, let's say this is happening to you 4-5 times a week (or more) you DO want to mention it to your doc. Ask him to perform a test called the MOCA (http://www.mocatest.org/pdf_files/MoCA-Test-English_7_1.pdf). Other test we do for very early dementia are having the patient list every animal or vegetable they can think of in one minute. We also use a test of word list remembering.

If there is a problem you'll want to track it down and treat it. If there are no other symptoms, most of the time the forgetting is benign. If there is no problem, hopefully it would give you peace of mind.

cinnamon26 answered...

I had a severe problem of forgeting words and statements. Sometimes in the middle of words I forget what I was about to say. I have been taking plant based protein products which has helped me tremendously. In a space of one month I saw a difference. It is kosher, gluten, and lactose free, and the plant based sugar content is less than 9g.in many of the products. Most of them is around 5g plant sugar content. My memory is working its way back as I do not forget as I used to. I feared Altzheirmer's and thought since it was in my family it could be a strain. Nonetheless, I have seen marked improvement and working my way hopefully to obliteration. I believe sometimes cellular nutrition plays a major role, and this product is also used for other targeted areas. It has been 30 years in the business this year. I know there are many products on the market, but this one is certainly helping many people I know. After reading this article I was moved to share this with you. You are doing a great job, I share your info with friends as general info...I think you bring focus to things and sensitivity which allows us solutions. Many thanks for this site to all those who play a role in making it happen.

SLL. Texas answered...

Cinnamon26, Could you please give me the name of plant based protein product? Can these ingrediants be purchased at a health store? I feel I might benefit from this product. I am caring for my husband who has alzheimers. It is very stressful and worry when I forget things. Thank you so much. Louise