(800) 973-1540

Can someone with Alzheimer's forget something then remember it?

Can someone with Alzheimer's forget something, then remember it after some time?

Answers
Caring.com User - Joyce Simard
A social worker and geriatric consultant who specializes in dementia care, Joyce Simard is based in Land O' Lakes, Florida, and in Prague. She...

Yes, a person with Alzheimer's can remember things that had been seemingly forgotten for a time. Their ability to remember may have to do with being tired or frustrated or just being distracted. Asking about it at another time may produce better results--not so very different from you and I.

I am 64 years old. I had a mother who suffered from Alzheimer's for a number of years. Recently, I was talking with a sister (6 years younger) and I told her I had only been back to visit my birth state twice in my life. Then she reminded me of another time when I was there and told me of a specific event which triggered my memory of having been there another time. I thought to myself, "This must be how it is to have Alzheimer's. Specific details might trigger memories of a time long forgotten. Just thought it would be helpful to share this. I often have close relatives and friends say to me, "Don't you remember, I told you last week . . ." And I will think, I don't remember hearing that at all. At least I haven't lost my sense of smell yet. (That is supposed to be one of the first sensory things to go.)

LeBecky answered...

my mom has sever dementia and she has so many Alzheimers symtoms. She can remeber sometimes . somthing will trigger that memory but everything else, even her children she can't remember there names or who they are. Its amazing how the mind works or doesn't work with these people. they are a wonder to me and they are fighting a fight now one can figure out. I light a candle for all Alzheimers people and people fighting the fight of dementia. Bless them all.

cw0214 answered...

My mother's memory loss is affecting her trust and emotions. She doesn't believe she has any memory loss and that she is perfectly capable of taking care of herself. She wants to go home even though she can't actually remember home accurately. I try to distract her but it seems to be her most seated memory and she gets angry and thinks I'm trying to pull the wool over her eyes. It's a real challenge to be creative in disengaging from her adamant request to go home and her accusations of being held against her will. She does not remember how she got here and thinks that I went to her house and took her stuff when she wasn't there. What is a good way to change her tact?

vienna answered...

How varied all the answers are, Dementia/ Alzheimers is very unique to the individual. However, there are also paralells! Yes, it can (and is) very frustrating and creates all sorts of negative emotions. If you are lucky you will have a close friend to vent. I had two very good friends with whom I could talk,alas one moved away and the other died. I do not open up easely on personal matters and so find it hard to talk. For every person in the same circumstances I will pray and also light a candle. Thank you for letting me "vent".

dls57 answered...

I only wish my husband, who lost his dad to Alzheimer's would read this blog. His mother is now dying from it. He just can't talk much about what is happening. I am able sometimes to mention some thought or ideas from this site. He has told me at times that his mother can briefly remember an event or a name.

bugzy answered...

My husband has had alot of difficultly finding or remembering where he wants to go or be in his own house, he's lived here for 35 years. We have only been married for 5 years. There was an incident last week about him locking the bedroom door at night because he said someone was stealing money from him, we are the only ones that live here, when I told him that, he kept asking what is this place, we were standing in the bedroom at the time. He kept asking questions and finally said is this a hospital? I told him it was his house and then he asked how long he had been here and I answered 35 years. It was quite an eye opener he didn't recognize his own home.