(800) 973-1540

How can I find information about a trust fund?

3 answers | Last updated: May 15, 2014
I am currently looking for ways to inherit my trust fund. The trouble is that I don't have any information on where it is located or what lawyer may have handled the trust. My father passed and my mother set up the trust. She refuses to give me any information. How can I find my trust fund?

Answers
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of WillMaker, software enabling consumers to...

The thing that you are finding so irksome about a trust is the very thing that makes trusts attractive to many people: The person who established the trust need not See also:
What's the emergency procedure for obtaining durable power of attorney for finance or health care?
make the terms of it public"”and is free to change his or her mind about potential beneficiaries at any time.

Any lawyer who helped your mother set up the trust would also be legally required to remain mum about its terms"”or risk violating the client's trust, which could subject that lawyer to discipline or even disbarment.

By far the most common types of trusts are testamentary. A testamentary trust is one that will go into effect once the trustmaker dies, so there is a good chance you would not be entitled to any trust assets until after your mother's death, anyway.

It sounds as if you've talked with your mother about your desire or need for money now, but she seems unwilling to accommodate your request. Your reality is that you will likely have to look elsewhere for money at this time.

Twitch070 answered...

Don't u just hate when u have a trust fund and your mother wants to keep it to her self I have the same Problem I sould of got a trust fund when I was 18 now I'm 30 and still never seen this money from what everyone eles in my family saids she took it and spent it now I had to pay a lawery 400 Dollers to go find info about this and that's of he even can find anything

nicamerriman answered...

Yes, or like me be excluded from your family with brute actions to intimidate and silence me by any means necessary for a trust you can only get a glimmer of information of. A trust that my grandma left to me, which she might have thought would help me, which only made my life a living hell through physical, mental and judicial abuse by my covetous family. I hope they enjoy it! I must say life got good once I divorced this family and GOD has blessed me immensely and it didn't take money!