(800) 973-1540

What kind of financial help for caregivers is available?

I am the full time caregiver for my 97+ year old grandmother. I am unable to be employed because of her health situation. Is there any financial help for caregivers that are unemployed?

Answers

Unfortunately, there are no government programs that pay family members directly for caring for their elderly relatives. But it is legal for your grandmother to pay you a reasonable amount See also:
Are there financial benefits available to a primary caregiver?
from her own funds, even if some or all of those funds come entirely from government benefit programs. To make such an arrangement, you and your grandmother should write down exactly what your duties are, how often you will provide care, and how much she will pay you for it. Your grandmother's signature on this agreement should be witnessed by at least one other family member. If your grandmother does not have the capacity to understand and execute such an agreement, it would have to be agreed to and signed by someone she has designated as her agent in a durable power of attorney for finances.

If paying you a regular, reasonable amount drops her income below a certain level in your state, that may make her eligible for additional benefits from the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. To be eligible for SSI, your grandmother must have almost no savings or other assets. To find out if she is eligible for SSI benefits, contact your local county social services office.

MsKatyJ answered...

I had to quit working full time to care for my father who has Myelodysplasia. In our state, they have a long term care program that will help pay for either someone to come in and care for him or pay a family member or someone HE chooses to employ as a caregiver. This program here is called Consumer Directed Care. Check with your State Department of Family or Social Services and see if they have any similar programs. There are income limitations but they are fair, they consider what the applicant pays for such as medication, Dr. visits, etc.

I hope this helps.

Katy

THE INFORMATION FROM OTHERS WERE VERY INFORMATIVE. I AM TAKING CARE OF MY SISTER. IT HAS BEEN VERY HARD ON ME FOR THE PAST ALMOST TWO YEARS. BESIDES GETTING OUT IN THE DAYTIME WE ARE HOME AT NIGHT.