Is there financial aid for caregivers?

I am caring for my parents but now I need to be home with them day to day. Is there any financial aid for caregivers that I can get since I will have lost my income?

Answers
Caring.com User - Steve Weisman
Steve Weisman hosts the nationally syndicated radio show A Touch of Grey, heard on more than 50 stations, including WABC in New York City...

There are millions of people in America taking care of elderly parents without any pay. Unfortunately, there is no direct financial aid that can help compensate you for the lost See also:
Is there federal assistance for caregivers?
income. However, some relief may be found in an unlikely place -- the income tax.

Turnabout is fair play: Just as you were once claimed as a dependent by your parents on their federal income tax return, now you may be in a position to claim your parents as a dependent on your federal income tax return. If you paid for more than half of your parents expenses for the year and their income is less than $3,400 for the year, you may be able to take them as a dependent on your income tax return. In addition, there's a little-used dependent care credit that you may be eligible for that allows you to deduct as much as $1,200 from your tax bill if you pay someone to care for your parents while you work. Talk to your tax or financial advisor to see if you qualify for these deductions.

SO AS A CAREGIVER, THEIR IS NO OUTSIDE INCOME WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR JOB, USE ALL YOUR VACATION TIME FOR CARING AND AVOIDING NURSING HOME PLACEMENT FOR YOUR LOVED ONE BUT THEIR ARE MILLIONS OF SUPPORT PROGRAMS THAT GET FUNDS FOR SITTING WITH US IN GROUPS TO LISTEN AND SUPPORT US ON OUR DAY TO DAY STRESS AS A CAREGIVER, HOWEVER NO FUNDS FOR THE CAREGIVER WHO LOSES THEIR INCOME AND STILL NEEDS THAT HOME NOT ONLY FOR THEIR LOVED ONE BUT THEIR FAMILY AS WELL.

DEVOTED CARETAKER CC

landingeagle777P@yah answered...

IS THERE FINANCIAL AID FOR CAREGIVERS?

NO. NOT IN PORT RICHEY FLORIDA. MY UNCLE IS 97 YRS OLD ON A EIGHT HUNDRED ($800) SOCIAL SECURITY MONTHLY CHECK. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED ANY FINANCIAL SUPPORT AS A CAREGIVER FOR HIM SINCE HE WAS TRANSFERRED HERE FROM LOWELL,MA FROM THE BLAIRHOUSE REHAB AND NURSING HOME WHERE HE WAS TAKEN THERE AFTER A SLIP AND FALL FROM A SECOND STORY HOUSE HE LIVED IN FOR FOUR YEARS WITH HIS YOUNG WIFE OF EIGHT YEARS.

ANTOLIN NEVER RECEIVED COMPENSATION FOR HIS SEVERE FALL OF APRIL 2002 DESPITE HAVING THREE DIFFERENT ATTORNEYS AND I COULD NOT TAKE HIM BACK TO LOWELL, MA TO CONTINUE HIS SLIP AND FALL CASE BECAUSE I WAS WORKING, GOING TO COLLEGE AND RAISING TWO DAUGHTERS.

NO THERE IS NO MONEY FOR CAREGIVERS IN PORT RICHEY, FLORIDA. TODAY I AM UNEMPLOYED, DIVORCING AND SOON TO BE HOMELESS WITH MY 97 YEAR OLD UNCLE.

Heelermom answered...

STEVE WEISMAN,

YOU MENTIONED CLAIMING YOUR "PARENTS" AS A DEPENDANT. BUT WHAT ABOUT A "SPOUSE"? I CAREGIVE MY HUSBAND FULL TIME. CAN I CALIM HIM AS A DEPENDANT? OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO KEEP FILING AS JOINT?

WE LIVE IN HAWAII AND THERE IS NO COMPENSATION HERE FOR CAREGIVERS. I HAD TO MOVE US OUT OF OUR HOME AND INTO OUR MOTHER-IN-LAW APARTMENT. I THEN RENTED THE HOME OUT AND THAT RENTAL INCOME ONLY PAYS FOR A PORTION OF OUR MORTGAGE. MY HUSBAND'S DISABILITY INCOME IS STILL NOT ENOUGH TO COVER OUR LIVING EXPENSES, SO I WILL HAVE TO LEAVE HIM HOME ALONE AND GO TO WORK. HE HAS PARKINSON'S DISEASE AND SEVERE SPINAL STENOSIS. HE IS ONLY 57 YEARS OLD.

STRESSED OUT WIFE

wifewhocare answered...

We live in Texas the situation for me is the same, my husband has parkinson's disease I am a teacher and I ask in my job for 3 mo FMLA but time is running out and I still looking for help. The VA offer me to take care other veterans but the lady in charge of the program never call me back and I call and call her and never answer me back. Some people said that they get commission if they referred a veteran to a nursing home. In those places that hired CNA one for 2o or more patients. And bathe the patients twice a week feed them trash and barely take care them. but they charge $170.00 a day and the Va immediately qualify the veterans for aid and attendance but take years to give to their spouses or relatives.

There is a program from welfare, the Waiver program, that will pay you up to 10 hours a day if you qualify, for the care givers.

there is in every State that pays for Caregiver in Florida ( Consumer Direct Plus) in every States they called it (Cash and Counseling) ! Go to there site in what States you are in!!!!

Without hesitation I left a new endeavor in a field with great promise in 1999 to become what would turn out to be round the clock caregiver for three family members challenged by stroke,COPD, Parkinson's ,liver disease ,bipolar disorder and cancer.Today I became of aware of not only that i would've & still do qualify for some compensation- but more frustrating is that the surviving member of my family will not confirm my responisibilites as such because she is wary of the State using this as a means of siezing control,ending of her autonomy.For the record -she has no assests after the costs of medical bills -and I am her dependent with my own looming health issuses ,trading my efforts as her caregiver and agent as my only means of lodging and food.Any suggestions?