(800) 973-1540

My father died. Is he still watching over me?

My father died. I want to know if he is still watching over me.

Answers
Caring.com User - Martha Clark Scala
Martha Clark Scala has been a psychotherapist in private practice since 1992, with offices in Palo Alto and San Francisco, California. She regularly writes...

You have no idea how often this question is asked. Grieving is hard enough, but if we know that those who have died are able to watch over us, it See also:
How can I help my demanding father -- without neglecting the rest of my life?
sure does ease the pain. The problem, to some people, is that there is no way of proving, without a doubt, the presence of the deceased.

For example, naysayers argue that it's all a figment of the imagination. Or they might argue that what is present is your "Dad-in-you" -- that is, a sense of your Dad that you have internalized. A counterargument might be: So what? Whether the felt presence of a deceased beloved is imagined or "real," does it really matter? If someone's presence provides comfort and solace, isn't that good enough?

If you are one who needs concrete evidence of something before you can believe it, you may struggle to believe in your Dad's presence. On the other hand, if you really want to feel his presence, you might find yourself willing to suspend any disbelief, or not be swayed by those who argue vehemently against it.

Know that this is a theme that shows up in the lives of many who are grieving. There are some uncanny stories that don't necessarily provide proof, but certainly raise a sense of possibility that contact with the deceased is in some way possible.

If you would like to read more on this topic, I recommend starting with Blessings From the Other Side: Wisdom and Comfort From the Afterlife for This Life by Sylvia Browne and Lindsay Harrison. Movies that have addressed this topic include: Contact, Ghost Town, The Sixth Sense and Ghost. Rent one or two of them -- and take heart in your own conclusion.

yes. Simple as that. Somehow, some way - emphatically - yes. I have had several loved ones pass away - and I can't tell you how much they've continued to add to my life. That sweet, sad, but more real-than-anything joy that you get from remembering. I now never have to feel alone. In the beginning I could only feel sadness, but in time, it changed. And I do believe it's because my loved ones are still with me - supporting me, showing me things, making me laugh, loving me. It's a nice forever.

Siva answered...

I lost my father in law three years ago. We live far away from our homeland. However, my wife and I always feel that he is with us and guides us every day. Whenever we do something new, we silently stand in front of his picture, close our eyes and sincerely pray for some time. We then feel that he has showered his blessings on us. The sweet feeling that he is with us every moment makes us feel less lonely and boosts our morale. Even as I write this, I feel he is standing beside me and smiling!

Jade1961 answered...

Yes my dear he is always with you. Look in the mirror and you will see shades of him in yourself. He watches over your everyday dealings and helps to protect you from harm from above. God Bless you & don't worry, your Dad loves you and is always there for you to talk to if you need him.