(800) 973-1540

What is the life expectancy for someone with advanced congestive heart failure?

anjilwing55 asked...

Answers

Anjilwing55, I'm so sorry you're dealing with so many health issues – not to mention the uncertainty you're grappling with. I wish I could give you the straight answer you See also:
Heart failure stages: what to expect (and what to ask a doctor)
so desperately need; unfortunately, it's not possible. I'm assuming you've asked your doctor to tell you how much time you have left, and she probably told you that there's no real way to say. That is the absolute truth, believe it or not: it's been more than two years since your diagnosis, and if you continue to take good care of yourself, you could have years left. Caring.com expert Virginia Frantz recently answered a similar question about heart failure and life expectancy; you can read her answer here.

That said, I think it's always worth living your life as if it could end at any time, and this is even more important when you have a serious, chronic health condition. Your family and you should sit down now and talk about what needs to be done to get your affairs in order. Once you have sorted out those practical, mundane issues, you can get on with the business of living your life to the fullest.

Best of luck to you, and much love to you and yours.

christychick answered...

My Mom lived with CHF for over 30 years. She had a great wonderful active life even with CHF. She recently passed away at age 60 on July 5th. There is no 'set' time limit put on your life. I am not saying it was always easy but she had a great full life even living with CHF. I wish you joy, peace & love and many happy years with your loved ones.

Christine

well, I'm just as ?? answered...

Hello, I just visited this place an hour or so ago. I need help in matters that are ugly in a legal way. But I am sending you this little e-mail because there are things YOU can do, not only to prolong your life, but make it easier. I have a doctor who supports my investigation of what is done in countries with medicine sometimes more advanced than ours. Japan and Germany are the 2 better known. First, after investigating and finding that some legal natural remedy is available, and how it is used etc.. I print this and share with him MD. I have been on stage III to IV since March 07. It's bilateral (considered worse) an ejection fraction of just barely 20%, so transplant is out. And in a way, this was an "accident" A dental infection caused an infection of the heart's lining. Feeling too tired, I lay around for a while which then caused no less than 3 simultaneous pulmonary emboli. The odds of surviving that was considered rare. I did,and for 3 weeks without treatment. Insurance issues... I periodically have an echo. At one time, it appeared my heart might be healing. It is interesting that it seems to loose ground when I have painful upsets. Lots, in fact. So, I learned to use meditation to calm my system. To calm palpitations and that chocking feeling, I use magnesium, a citrate base one is better absorbed. In Germany and Japan, an amino-acid (protein) TAURINE is the main medication used. I like it because if I take consistently, I feel a wonderful calm. Look it up & make sure to put the word: "studies" to prevent snake-oil vendors (joke) CQ-10, Vinpocetine, curcumin (tumeric) and definitely: wild salmon oil. Everything needs to be checked with what meds you take. Doc cannot be kept in the dark. Walk. Walk and walk.

12 meds= Mach '07. Lisinopril and diuretic now.

There is something powerful about doing your own research. A doc cannot be with us 24 hrs a day, and they can and do, miss stuff. When you research, you begin to get a picture of your own body. Doctors are beginning to appreciate patients who, in a way, become lab trials. Since my heart was so damaged, I had been told to make end of life plans. 6 months would be a miracle. It has been 2 1/2 years.

IMPORTANT. Never follow another's advise, check all on and for yourself.

Intend for all, what you wish for yourself. And the good you desire, wish it for all. Intentions are like boomerangs.

Love, Diana

Thick madame answered...

Anjilwing 55,Im 50 years old with Congestive heart failure,high blood pressurer, diabetics and im sorry to hear that you have CHF i know that we have good days and bad days and wish that this would go away but it want.And having this pacemaker/defribrillator is hard to get use to too. But GOD has the last say so in our life and you just have to keep believing in Him and hold your head up and dont let go of your Faith. I`m believing in GOD for you and me and everyone else with our problem. Best of luck to you and much love to you. GOD Bless You!

ralphrad answered...

I have had CHF and a EF of about 20% and I have had it since 1992. I had a massive heart attack. I have been in the ICU 3 times already this year with CHF fluid build-up around the heart. I don't get a lot of swelling around the ankles or legs. My fluid build-up is trunkal. So my point is, think positive always and just keep trying.

sjaweha answered...

I advise that a proper diet and excercise to your ability slowly. Diet means what you place in your body. Low fats hi fiber, whole foods, absolutly no processed foods and cut out red meats or all meats for a short time. Like a puification. Seek out a combination of both medical and holistic assistance. the earth has given us all we need and all the answers.

Dr. Schultz is amazing a living example of a Heart cure. Both parents died of heart disease and he was told he would die at the age of 23 or so because his parents both died of heart disease. he is alive at over 55 or 60 because he took responsility upon himself to R&D and started a huge successful Business helping others to help themselves and COME TO LIFE. He is amazing !!! Too Dr. Lorraine day a self healed cancer and healed her Mother of heart disease. use to be the head of Surgery at Unive. of SF. healed herself profundly and her Mother. Goolge the two above names and you will be saved and given a gift to yourself.

Blessings

jacobite answered...

I was diagnosed with CHF, and had pills by the cart load. In France, the doctor thought I was off the wall, and assured me I had chronic bronchitus. That was 12 years ago.

HollyMarie0807 answered...

Hope for all:

My father was diagnosed with chf over 10 years ago. He was stage 3 (pushing 4). He has had 5 heart attacks, 2 open heart surgeries, numerous angiograms and stents put in. He has diabetes, obese, fibromyalgia, asthma, 40% working heart, and the list goes on and on. Doctor's have been shocked for years that he is still going. This is not to say that everyday of my life since I was 15 we know it can be his last. The doctors told him over a year ago he probably had only 6 months. Well, I got married last month and danced with my daddy so HA they were wrong.

The VA and University of Minnesota refuse to give him another angiogram because there are too many risks. DO NOT GIVE UP when you get turned down. Some Doctor at Mayo is giving my dad a chance and doing the angio on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

My point is....No one can know how long you have. My mother was told she had six months to live when she had cancer and she lived 2 years. Just keep on keeping on...hope for the best...and if it is your time to go, well then, it's your time. ;o/

Do not let a number be your death sentence. I believe once you start thinking that then you created your sentence. HOWEVER, I do think you need to be prepared and take care of all loose ends and wills....being prepared is different than expecting the worse!

Good luck to All.

hi Anjilwing55 :) , I too, was in the same situation.Altough I have a HUGE phobia about hospitals and doctors and stopped going a few yrs back.

I will only go to the ER in a case that i can't breathe or the chest pains are incredibly painful. I have 6 LAD stents, and a triple bypass (all several yrs back). They had to "go back in" a 2nd time with the bypass surgery due to internal bleeding-None the less the bypass surgery left alot of problems that i suffer with everyday. There was alot of nerve damage done to the (thoracic )my chest ,and the heart lung machine caused a pleurotic lesion that will never heal which developed into 'COPD' . Because of the COPD- I couldn't even be put on the transplant list for a heart...

For the first 4-5 yrs I've been on every medication on the market-each one causing side effects that made the situation worse-or made my existence unbearable. As for the nerve damage done to the chest-wearing a 'baggy' shirt that was 3-4 sizes bigger than me-as the only relief i could immediately find-but the pain was unbelievable when anything touched the skin. I also had the sternal wires sticking out of my skin at the top of my sternum (near my neck ) which used to get hooked onto my hair, my clothing etc. I couldn't find a dr that would help with that...not even the original cardio thoraic surgeon. I spent alot of time at 'Pain Management'... and seemed to spend most of my time sleeping through the pain-on pain management meds.. Between angina... repiratory problems & breathing.. i really couldn't see the point of these dr's handing me all kinds of meds.... each with their own form of tortorous side effects that made " life"- or just "Existing" unbearable I've gone through 5 cardiologists (after being with each one for at least a year)-while each one would tell me how seriously damaged my heart was and the damage was irreversible. Each dr tried to talk me into get the ICD-of which i researched carefully and for great lengths of time.. .....But I kept coming back to what is already IN my body.. and how the quality of life seems non existent. I refused.. and still refuse.The Dr's have insisted that 'sudden death' is a high possiblity -even yrs back... plus i have 'Sleep Apnea' I am dependent on Oxygen Cannisters and an Oxygen Regulator. I can barely walk.. my body has limited my 'activities' to bare minimuns, and I've had the appetite of a sickly bird since the beginning-which i'll chalk up the medications. I can't sleep.. unless i'm propped up with 3 thick pillows. I've experimented with hemeopathic remedies which offer the tiniest bit of help-even if it's psycological.. and take an aspirin a day. I've always been 'thin', active, athletic and on the go.Never did drugs,or abused alcohol etc. Was rarely sick.. never even had the flu or allergies.I only came to find out a year after the bypass surgery.. that heart problems are congenital-but no one ever spoke of them. Like i said... i have a horrible phobia about dr's and hospitals.. but will go when i am almost suffocating.. or the chest pains are unmanagable and unbearable. My last 'visit' to the ER showed that i have Pneumonia (I can barely tolerate to get once a month with help,in wheel chair w/ portable O2-to the store -) ,and that half my body weight is water-and i'm drowning inside. Needless to say after all the testing.. that my Ejection Fraction is 13, I have CHF stage 3, Class 3 with COPD, etc etc... i was given a total of 14 different meds, and several serious speeches about my condition... yet no one would give me even a vague idea of how long. Again-they tried to implore me to get the ICD-with no guarantees that even with the ICD-that i won't end up with brain damage on life support. And Again -most of the medications had side effects that made me feel worse than before i got there. I'd take just the water pill,and what i usually take. I have fantastic health & pharmacutical insurance.. but i always get the feeling.. that the better the insurance... the more tests,"procedures" and pills i'll get.. which i tell them i won't take anyway. Once i start to feel 'alittle' better.. when in the hospital... (which isn't saying much)..and i my "usual" breathing is back-I sign out "AMA"- and have a cab take me home.

Like yourself.. I too wanted to know the Prognosis/ Mortality...so i could at least have time to get my affairs in order. ***My advice to you - is that you have your affairs in order regardless. I believe everyone should have theirs done... as one never knows what tomorrow holds. I have my living will and other papers in order...-just to give myself piece of mind. The same for you... if it offers nothing else... you will have piece of mind.. that you are prepared. My children are grown adults.. and married.. and they all have their 'affairs in order'... . Better to be prepared.

Dgibson969 answered...

I was diagnoised with CHF at age 46 with an EF of 15%. No episode, leaning towards rheumatic fever when I was young. Artries are wide open thanks to chelation EDTA, and Cardio Renew. Now, that my heart has been medicated and has had time to remodel itself. I have a 30-35% EF. I'm take 80mg of Lasix ace inhibutors, calcium blockers and potassium. I take the xanax.025 mg before bedtime. I'm a class III I guess no dry coughing but can get short of breath with continous movement. I'm now 54 and still get things done but nap several times a day. My best advice is, stay away from the salt shaker, deep fried foods, mashed potatoes, bacon, pork, anythiong that has hidden or high concentrations of salt. Do your own cooking, Oatmeal is you very best friend! Check out Standard Process vitamins and see a reflexologists to get the right nutrition for you.

My Mother was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure when she was 54. Although she had bouts with it and was hospitalized a few times, she did not die of CHF. She was 80 when stomach cancer took her life. My daughter is 30 and was diagnosed with CHF and a Pulmonary Embolism after the birth of her first child. She ended up in the hospital when her baby was 7 days old and had to be resuscitated. She is following the instructions given her by the Dr's, taking her medicine as prescribed and avoiding salt. With proper diet and medical care I believe that CHF should not stop a person from living a good long life.

Please ask the doctor about the medicine Digoxin and the side effects. I am not a doctor but I do suspect that this medicine caused a lot more harm than it did to help her.

45 and Alive answered...

I too have stage 3 CHF, Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis and Chronic Kidney Failure. I take Coreg, Lasiz, Losartan, Zaroxyln, Protonix, Rebif Injection for my MS. Oct 12, 2007 my doctors told me I had 6-12 months to live. October 12, 2012 I celebrated 45 and Alive!!!!!!!!!! I too have a pacemaker and defibillator but I livemy life to the fullest. I was on the transplant list and my EF has been as low as 8-11 and now its 25. I believe I will contine to live a strong healthy life for many years to come. I may be sick but I'm not dead yet. I LIVE!!!!!!

My father was diagnosed with Stage III CHF in 2003 at the age of 55. The first year upon diagnoses he suffered from an arrhythmia and went into cardiac arrest and flat lined...paramedics were able to necessitate him. He was given a pacemaker and defibrillator to manage his irregular heartbeat. He's had many stable years with the help of proper diet and medications. Unfortunately due to all his medications he developed poor kidneys and was hospitalized a few times due to edema in his legs/feet and lungs. My father recently just passed away in Feb 2013 at the age of 65. His health declined quite rapidly unfortunately with his final months, and he was hospitalized and passed away in the hospital. He died of another episode of an arrhythmia just like 10 years ago but unfortunately his heart was too weak to respond to his defibrillator. Only now were they going to set up the process of a heart transplant when he was already too far gone :( His doctor said he beat all odds and he shouldn't have lasted as long as he did...but he did :) If you stay true to doctors orders and have love and support of people around you, I really believe that has a huge impact on the survival rate. This is a HORRIBLE illness and is very upsetting to see anyone suffer from it.

bridget ireland answered...

hi I just looking at the posts,,,i have heart faiure at the age of 38 due to major stress my heartbeat was 198 b,p,m I didn't realise I went to the doctor with a stomach ulser ,,,well I work as a carer and after been off work for 6 months,,begged my doctor to let me go back which he hesatited for only light duties,,,ended up getn a angigram which was clear also got my heart stopped and started 3 times to try regulate it but didn't work ,,,im back to living my life normal but was just given 2 years the other day as im under so much stress wit my x and family and have no support ,,,but I try not to dwell on it and try live my life as much as normal I still smoke which doesn't help but why deprive myself at this stage ,,,,ill die any way but im a load of meds and 80g of water tablets a day 2,,,so my motto is we ere for a good time not a long time ,,so try not to think about being sick ,,,it wat keeps me going and I have kids to think of ,,,,when god wants me he will take me xxxx

Elle@Medical answered...

It can happen to younger people too. I was 44 when i was diagnosed. My GP wasn't convinced there was anything to be concerned about despite me taking the blood pressure readings in every now and then over 3 years!!! Now i can't have children because of the meds and can only work part-time. take heed!

christinahorton answered...

I can let you know my father has CHF, and has had it sense about 2009. He is now 81 years old and is still doing ok!!!!!!!!! Just keep fighting and know you have something to live for! That is what I tell him.

toyoungforthis answered...

young .. oh yes it dose happen to young people..im 32 ,a mother of 6 my youngest being close to two months old .. thought i had the flu.. went to the er.. went to a couple different hospitals ,got my results congested heart failure ,only 25 percent of my heart is working ..not to mention the bread winner ... money maker ..can anyone please tell me if i am going to be able to return to work anytime soon?

Cranky*Girl answered...

Anjilwing55, I am on a quest for the same information. I recommend you find a source of actuarial tables, possibly on line or from an insurance agent. I have found it helpful to see that data. The actuarial tables will tell you the percent of people with your combination of health issues who live an additional 5, 10, 20 years, etc. You will at least get a range that will help you make the decisions you are facing.