(800) 973-1540

Why are urinary tract infections in elderly women so common?

world asked...

Answers

This is a complicated question, and a good one. I'll to simplify the answer. There are several reasons why women are at a higher risk of urinary tract infections (UTI) See also:
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection

See all 154 questions about Incontinence
as they age.

Urine retention or incomplete bladder emptying: As women get older their bladders may not empty as efficiently, leaving urine behind. This urine can become contaminated with bacteria, which leads to infection. Many things can contribute to urine retention. These include: Gynecological problems (organ prolapse, surgeries), urethral stricture, severe constipation, medication side effects, and neurological diseases like strokes and Parkinson’s disease. In particular, bladder medications used to treat incontinence can cause urine retention. What helps? Talk to a doctor or pharmacist about changing medications. Treat constipation.

Decreased ability to fight infection: After menopause, changes can occur in normal vaginal bacteria. For example, lactobacillus, a healthy and protective bacterium decreases. This decrease allows the more troublesome fecal bacteria to over-grow, which can cause infection. What helps? Check with a gynecologist and good hygiene.

Female anatomy: With women, the urethra (where urine comes from) is only a couple of inches from the rectum (where fecal infection-causing bacteria come from), so it's easy for baceria to spread. As some women age, they lose the ability to toilet efficiently. If someone is incontinent and wears diapers, it's more challenging. What helps? Women should always wipe from the front to the back. Frequent diaper changes and cleaning.

Dietary changes: Many elders do not drink enough, as they're afraid of urine accidents, can't access beverages independently, or can't express or feel "thirst" as clearly as before (especially true for women with dementia). What helps? Drinking at least eight glasses of water or clear fluid daily. Cranberry juice may also help, though the research on this is inconclusive. I's recommend trying one 8 oz. glass of 100% cranberry juice twice daily. If the frequent UTIs continue, then I'd stop.

If you know a woman who gets frequent urinary tract infections, she should see her doctor who can check for and address these issues.

twstr2u answered...

Over the last six months or so; I too have been afflicted with urinary tract infection. My doctor put me back on HTR (Harmone Therapy Replacement) but at half dosage. So far, this seems to be doing the trick. That is until now. All of a sudden, it is back again. I was wondering if I should increase the dosage to a full dose until it is back under control again. I am also wondering (after it's back under control) if I should take half of BOTH pills as they go together for the htr. I take Estradiol 1 MG Tab and Medroxyprogest 5 MG. I've been taking 1/2 of the Estradiol but a whole pill on the Medroxyprogest. Should I halve the Medroxyprogest as well? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Mary

LadyDawn answered...

In response to the cranberry juice aspect only, I'd skip the juice and go straight to the best canberry capusles you can find. Taken with a glass of water (you certainly don't want to dehydrate) you can take 2 capsules 4X a day for an infection and once or twice a day if you suspect.

The juice unless not mixed with anythin else for palatability is going to have more sugar than you want or need. The last thing you want is a yeast infection.

Have you talked to your doctor about natural HRT? There are some decent herbal-type blends for Hot Flash.

Are you kegeling? That will help regain some strength in the pelvic region where it is needed to aid complete emptying of the bladder. You can even do them in bed before you get up in the morning.

Yamajoybot answered...

l went to see a doctor for vaginal discharges and after lab result everything was alright but sometime l still smell odour from my vaginal which l know is not normal. What may be the cause of this?

yamajoybot I just had a bout with Bacterial Vagninosis. This causes a fishy oder and some discharge. Need to see a doctor, and get treatment. They gave me Metronidazole. Seems to have worked. It can also cause pressure feeling and urgency.

CA-Claire answered...

OK, so I used to get a lot of kidney infections (skipped my bladder completely). I used to keep myself dehydrated all the time (drank tea or soda rather than plain water). I have used cranberry capsules, and have used plain cranberry juice mixed with orange juice.

As for the question about the HRT, dosages and such to take, talk to your Physician. There's a lot of hooey (crap) out there on the internet about bioidenticals, OTC's, Canadian stuff, Mexican stuff, etc - all with only anecdotal (non-research based) 'evidence' as to it's efficacy - your physician or pharmacist are the only ones with enough knowledge to guide you on HRT.

For the lack of lactobacillus, and vaginal odors, be sure to eat some yogurt, kefir, or Acidofillus milk to up the prevalence of the 'good' bacteria to keep your perineal area healthy. Only wipe front to back from birth to the end of the line!