(800) 973-1540

Does Medicare pay for shingles vaccine?

pomdog asked...
Will Medicare pay for the shingles vaccine?
For this question:

Answers

No, it won't. In general, Medicare doesn't do a very good job of covering preventive medical care . The only immunizations it covers are a yearly flu shot, the pneumonia vaccine, and the vaccine against hepatitis B (if you are at medium or high risk for contracting the disease).

if you are 65 or older medicare will pay for this vaccination. I am under that age and have several flareups of shingles. This is the diagnosis from my physician.

The medicare co-pay for the shingles vaccine I paid was $90.00. The total cost for the vaccine was around $190.00. I had the vaccine back in the spring of this year (2013).

Mahakavi answered...

Medicare part B does NOT cover shingles vaccination. Part D covers it as a prescription drug (even though it is a preventive vaccine). If your Medicare advantage plan covers part D (drugs) then the shingles vaccine is covered. Your copay may vary from plan to plan. CDC determines the cost of the vaccine including the administration fee is around $190 (2013 price). The copay one has to pay may vary from $60 to 80 to 100. If you have a Medigap (supplemental coverage) policy you may avoid the copay also. Check with your Medigap policy administrator.