Does Medicare pay for diapers or pads?

Lisa asked...
Does Medicare pay for diapers or pads? Are there medical supply companies that can bill Medicare for these items?

Answers

Medical supplies of all kinds are covered by Medicare Part A, but only when you are a hospital or skilled nursing facility inpatient. Medicare Part B covers outpatient care; this includes "durable" medical equipment -- such as hospital beds, wheel chairs, walkers, and oxygen systems -- but not most medical supplies like adult diapers or pads.

Gina Flores answered...

It's very unfortunate that so many seniors are paying right out of their pocket for incontinence supplies, but it's just a fact of life. The seniors I know that don't have insurance and Medicare coverage for diapers not only want to save money, but they also want convenience. For this reason, I always recommend buying online and ordering in bulk quantity. At www.totalhomecaresupplies.com the shipping is free and there's always a coupon available that helps people on a tight budget. Totalhomecaresupplies.com offers all the popular brands such as Depend, Prevail, Dignity and Poise Pads. Some seniors don't have access to a computer and need help over the phone, so this company makes it easy with a toll free line: 1-866-376-4950.

I also recommend people check with their accountant to see if cash paid incontinence supplies are considered a tax deduction.

1elizabeth answered...

THEYRES A EBAY SITE THAT SELL 100 MEDIUM ADULT DIAPERS FOR $45 FREE SHIPPING AND PEACH PADS AND BOOSTER PADS AT A GREAT PRICE !!!! JUST TO LET ANYONE THAT NEED CHEAP AND NAME BRAND SUPPLIES ,, USSERNAME FOR EBAY IS ( NOVEMBER16ELIZABETH HURRY THYRES A COUPLE BOXES LEFT I SELL SUPLIES SO I DECIDED TO PUT ON SOME FOR SALE WITHOUT MAKING A PROFIT BUT JUST A FEW BOXES A MONTH I HAVE A GRANDMA TOO SO I KNOW ITS EXPENSIVE !!

adelaide's grandma answered...

I live in Indiana and found out that Medicaid will pay for the diapers, pads, and gloves. I get enough for a month's supply and usually have leftovers. I have both Medicare/Medicaid. There are certain suppliers for each state. In Indiana it is J & B Medical Supply Company and a few others but the states medicaid site gives the list. If you don't have medicaid and are disabled, you might try applying for it, even if you are over income you may qualify or qualify for a waiver.

Nate S answered...

I have found a website that offers more detail on whether Medicare will cover adult diapers. If you have a Medicare Part C, then it maybe possible for incontinence products to be covered. It all depends on the advantage plan. See this site for more information http://www.emedicalnow.com/blog/?p=359

Medicaid pays for everything. In Wisconsin it is called Badger care, and you are allowed a diaper every 2 hours. Medicare pays nothing as far as diapers. It would break the bank, and how many people needing diapers can get out to vote for obama, so coverage will not happen any time soon.

Yes. Medicaid pays for incontinence supplies. This means that tax paying citizens who ARE paying for health insurance are paying for the supplies of those on Medicaid but can't have these supplies covered for themselves.