(800) 973-1540

Will Medicare take my husband's life insurance policy when he dies?

1 answer | Last updated: Jan 20, 2011
Stephanie G asked...
Someone has told me that because my husband is on Medicare, when he dies they will attach his life insurance policy. Is this true?

Answers

You can rest easy. Medicare does NOT seek repayment, through attachment of assets or claims against an estate, of any amounts it spends for medical care.

Like many folks, the See also:
Do You Have to Be Bankrupt to Get Medicaid?
person who told you about the possibility of attachment was probably confusing Medicare with Medicaid. Medicaid is a program of coverage for medical and long-term care available only to people with very low income and few assets. If someone over the age of 55 receives long-term nursing home coverage from Medicaid, the Medicaid program can seek repayment of those amounts from that person's estate (usually a family home). But these repayment rules do not apply to Medicare.