(800) 973-1540

Does drinking Alka-Seltzer really cure bladder infections?

america asked...
For this answer:

Answers

When I read your letter, I must admit I have never heard of this "home remedy". From my experience, alka-seltzer would not cure bladder/urinary tract infections. The only cure I See also:
Discovered: A "Lint Brush" that Removes Cancer Cells from the Blood
know of for a urinary tract infection (UTI) is antibiotic therapy.

Alka seltzer is mainly made up of aspirin and citric acid, both of which are not a treatment for UTI. Since it is a pain reliever, this may take the burning on urination pain away, making someone think that their infection is gone. I would caution you that just because you don't have burning doesn't mean you are "cured". The only safe way to know if you don't have a UTI is to get your urine tested and have it come back clean.

A word about citric acid: we know that urinary tract bacteria do not like acidic urine. This is why cranberry juice and vitamin C can be helpful for preventing UTI's in some people. But again, these are not cures!

If you take the regular Alka-seltzer when you first notice that your pee smells different, it will help it go away. And it isnt because of the aspirin, its the baking soda ingredient, sodium benzon- a something. And Ms. Nurse practitioner, maybe next time you have one you should try it. But if you wait until it starts hurting before you drink it, it's too late. It has to be at the VERY beginning, before the pain starts. I have used this a few times since I heard about it, and I have a long history of bladder infections, so I know what they smell like when they start. This last time I had one, I also took 2 tablets of AZO cranberry 3 times in one day (2 with each meal) just for more help. And it does work.