(800) 973-1540

How can I get my grandmother to change and dispose of her adult diapers regularly?

Danielle asked...

Answers

Hi Danielle, I feel for you. This is a tough situation. I guess the good news is that your grandmother is wearing diapers (I recently had a question from someone See also:
How can I tell whether my father's incontinence after his stroke is temporary?

See all 157 questions about Incontinence
whose parent refuses to do this, soiling herself.)

I think it's time for some tough love. I know this won't be easy, but you need to insist that your grandmother regularly change her diaper (at least daily, if not more), and dispose of her used diapers. The smell is one thing. But by wearing a damp diaper, your grandmother is at risk for skin conditions and infection.

I think the easiest approach is to consult with your grandmother's doctor, and ask him or her to have a talk with her. The doctor can explain the reasons regular diaper changes are important. If your grandmother refuses to see her doctor, maybe the doctor -- or a nurse -- is willing to chat with her by phone. A second idea is to hire a home health nurse for a one-time visit and consultation. The nurse can talk with your grandmother about managing her incontinence and include information on diaper changing and disposal. If the doctor or nurse approach this as helping your grandmother manage her health and well-being; she'll be more likely to listen. (They can also explain to her how our sense of smell often weakens with age, so she may be smelling the urine, but the odor is still there.)

It's also helpful to remember that in many cases seniors would rather discuss personal or intimate issues such as incontinence with professionals or hired staff than family.

Finally, if your grandmother thinks diapers and garbage bags are a splurge, I wonder if it would help if you bought a huge supply at a warehouse store like Costco and emphasized what a great deal you got, so she doesn't need to worry about the economics of the situation. Maybe you've already tried this kind of thing.

Best of luck with this tough situation --- and with your new baby as well!

LindaSD answered...

I bought a baby diaper pail where the bag is a ring. You shove the diaper into a closing area down into a bag. My mom has dementia and can't do this ...so you'd have to look at how the diaper paid actually works. I live with my mom so I have to make her change the diaper, help her clean up and I put the diaper in the pail. It stops the stink. I pick the same time each day.
With her Alzheimer's the talk about infection from not changing it from the doctor meant nothing to her but it did to me. He said a kidney infection from wearing the diaper too long is high on the list of putting an elderly patient into the hospital.
And yes, my mother cannot smell either. I have to clean her bathroom and remove soiled clothing every day as part of changing the diaper routine. And still, her bath/bedroom area still has a smell to it that even Lysol won't get rid of.
Care giving takes a lot of thinking differently. Good luck with your Grandmother.

Layne answered...

My 82 yr old mom's incontinence was due to a bad urinary tract or bladder infection. Because she didn't have the symptoms normally assocciated with those infections, it went untreated for a long time. I was told that the elderly don't have the pain and burning for some reason. Her urine smelled extremely strong and she started having a hard time walking and standing up. She became so ill that she passed out and had to go to the emergency room where they found the problem and she was treated. The doctor told us that the infection was due to poor hygene and now that she knows what caused it, she lets me help her clean up in the shower every morning. I know it's not really necessary to do it every day, but my mom is a creature of habit so it works best that way. She still has some incontinence but it's so much better, she's gotten her strength back, and the smell is gone.