(800) 973-1540

How is incompetency determined and how is it made a legal point?

My grandfather and his wife are moving into a retirement home. Her family is saying that my grandfather is incompetent to handle any financial decisions. She has power of attorney and my father has power of attorney if she were to pass first. They said a doctor said my grandfather is incompetent. We knew nothing of this doctor's visit. I am wondering what is considered incompetent and should there be papers or something legal stating he is incompetent? He is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. When we are talking to him he just can't remember the names of certain items while talking. He knows everyone. I am just concerned they are leaving him out of major financial decisions.

Answers
Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of WillMaker, software enabling consumers to...

It sounds as if your bottom line concern is whether there is a legally valid power of attorney for finances in place—and when it might take effect.

There are See also:
Mom is moving here from several states away. How do I find...

two types of durable power of attorney for finances—and that is what determines when they take effect. You should be able to tell which type your grandfather has by looking closely at the language that specifies when it takes effect.

The first type, which is more rare, takes effect immediately when it is signed. It is usually used when a person needs some help with mechanics of finances, such as balancing a checkbook or paying the bills on time. Many people with various forms of dementia, for example, are able to handle many aspects of their finances, but may need some help with more complicated tasks, such as computing state and federal taxes.

The second type takes effect only after a person is considered legally incapacitated, which requires that one or two doctors declare in writing that a person is mentally incompetent to handle his or her own finances—signaling that its time for the agent named earlier in the document to step in and help out.

If the second type of power of attorney for finances exists here, it would not be sufficient for a doctor to state that your grandfather is incompetent; he or she would have to commit that opinion to writing.

If you remain concerned that your grandfather is being shut out of decisions he can make, consider contacting the family ombudsperson or counselor at the retirement home. Most facilities have such people on staff, who are well-versed in the intricacies of legal documents—and the family dynamics that sometimes get in the way of having them work properly.

kimmykatt answered...

what kind of power of attorney should i get into,? i do everything for mom , even make financial decisions ect... there are a few things that require power of attorney like her property, finances , every aspect of her life , but i noticed a few different POA's which would you recommend...

Paz2u answered...

The question was not answered as written. Competency should be accessed by someone qualified to access all area's that determine if one is competent. I think this one very frustrating area in this already frustrating disease. All literature says how important to get an early diagnosis so things can be put in order. All areas of competency should be looked at to determine if a person is competent to make their own decisions and should be done with care and consideration. Taking a persons rights away is one that should not be done lightly but at the same time extreme caution leaving the person at risk is just as serious. Can this person manage their medication, finances, physical needs and memory issues. We had such a hard time getting help in this area. I think across the broad proticols should be used to determine this so everyone is on the same page.