(800) 973-1540

How can we control my dad's violent behavior and find a care facility that will accept him?

soprano2007 asked...
Help! My father has vascular dementia and was moved into a memory care unit in November 2010. Just after Christmas, he became violent with both staff and other residents. He's been in the geriatric psychiatric unit of a hospital for over 3 weeks where the doctor is trying to medicate him and control the violent behavior. The medicines are not working - he is still acting out. The facility where he was placed will not take him back, and my mother is struggling to find a facility to take him. She cannot care for him on her own which is why he was placed into a facility. What are we supposed to do?! The very places that are supposed to help are turning him away.

Answers
Caring.com User - Helene Bergman
Helene Bergman, LMSW, is a certified geriatric care manager (C-ASWCM) and owner of Elder Care Alternatives, a professional geriatric care management business in New...

Persons with dementia, whether vascular or Alzheimer's in type, may experience fear and confusion especially when they are in congregate settings. They may 'act out', as you mentioned, to protect See also:
Lewy Body or Alzheimer's: Do You Need to Know What KIND of Dementia?
themselves against perceived danger. When someone approaches, they may delude that they will be hurt unless they 'lash out'. They may respond negatively to peers or staff but usually there will be one (or more) staff advocates who can help. Either they know appropriate communication strategies or how to respond to the individual's unique personality requirements. This takes time and effort and usually the family are the best staff trainers. Of course, you have to have willing staff members who are open to tolerating 'anger' and 'aggression' as a patient's defenses rather than 'violence'.

If psychosocial interventions are totally ineffective, and a move to a more 'soothing' environment impossible, then pharmacological treatment is needed. Although this has been tried, it sounds as though a different drug protocol is needed and it might need to be titrated daily until your dad's angst is resolved. This also takes time and effort so I suggest you seek the best psychiatric resources in your locale, consult with your local Alzheimer's Association, and seek a Geriatric Care Manager to advocate {www.napgcm.org}. If the facility he was at no longer accepts him back, he does not belong there. It does not sound as though it was a good fit.

I was in a similar situation with my Dad two years ago and it was horrifying. Imagine having responsibility for someone with dementia who is combative and no facility will accept him. You can't really blame the facilities - they have to protect their staff. But the lack of helpfulness for this type of patient is shocking considering that it's not that unusual a behavior in dementia. My Dad went from a hospital where the social worker immediately pressured us to find him a suitable facility upon discharge, but provided no help except to hand us a list of facilities and say "good luck". When we contacted these "recommended" facilities, they wouldn't even consider accepting my Dad because of his reputation for being combative. We finally found a nursing home which reluctantly accepted him, only to be kicked out after 5 days to an ER, the very worst place to send someone who has dementia and is combative. Again the hospital social worker gave us a list of facilities and a "good luck". From there my Dad went to another emergency room where the social worker finally got my Dad on the waiting list for the only geriatic psych facility in the entire state: 15 beds. My Dad was in the psych holding unit of the ER for 24 hours in a bare room with a CNA watching him outside his door, it was horrific. When he was finally accepted at the Geri Psych Hospital, their social worker immediately began asking us where we would be placing my Dad on discharge, but giving us no options. This was a nightmare and the worst time of my life. My Dad was almost committed to the State Hospital -- the Geri Psych Hospital told us "it's not so bad" and yet the State closed this facility down just a few months later because it had multitudes of violations. I did contact a Geriatic Case Worker but she wasn't helpful, I had more information and knowledge about placement for people such as my Dad than she did, and she actually referred us so to some of the very agencies who rejected my Dad. Our salvation came when I contacted an elder care placement service. This fellow convinced me to place my Dad in an adult foster care home. He found a caregiver/owner who actually specializes in combative dementia ("she loves a challenge") and my Dad was saved. Adult Foster Care is the way to go if you have that option. She gave him the best quality of life he could have. My family will forever be grateful. There has simply got to be a better answer for our loved ones in this situation than to be in a scene out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Swizzles answered...

I am having the same problem with my mother. The place where she has been for 20 years wants to throw her away. They have ostracized her and do nothing for her! They also have made a huge number of medical mistakes that almost killed her. I don't know what to do!

My dad has the same problem but I am lucky as he is in a good home I suggest looking for a medical care home that can deal with dementia and deal with accordingly .. My dad has just started lashing out at other people and staff they had originally gave him a calming tablet now they have changed it to diazapan twice a day to keep him more relaxed as the lashing out is a form of self defence which comes from the dementia and it's helping!!!