(800) 973-1540

Can a chiropractor help with post-stroke symptoms?

dannibal asked...
I had a hemorrhagic stroke on March 21st 2008. I didn't take care of my blood pressure and it got out of control. Can a chiropractor help with the partial paralysis due to the Stroke?

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

I have not had success with chiropractors for post-stroke recovery. I have had some success sending my patients to an accupuncturist, however.

If you think that the standard physical and See also:
How can I be sure that a headache after a stroke isn't a ministroke, or TIA?

See all 132 questions about Stroke Prognosis and Recovery
occupational therapy is not giving you all the recovery you would like, and are interested in trying other avenues, I would recommend accupunture. I have had several patients tell me that the accupuncture helped "wake up" the nerves that were not working properly.

For the most part, I only recommend chiropractors for lower back pain that is not responding to other therapies. I also avoid having my patients see chiropractors for any neck manipulation, as I am a fairly strong believer that when a neck manipulation is performed, it can tear an artery and lead to a stroke.