(800) 973-1540

Are mood swings a side effect of chemotherapy?

Answers
Caring.com User - Bonnie Bajorek Daneker
Bonnie Bajorek Daneker is author and creator of the The Compassionate Caregiver's Series, which includes "The Compassionate Caregiver's Guide to Caring for Someone...

Yes, be patient. Certainly, the mood swings can be related to chemotherapy. In my book, I devote an entire section to "The Impossible Patient" -- the one who no matter See also:
What Is Neuropathy

See all 200 questions about Chemotherapy
how you try to give care, it's wrong -- because it's so common.

When you think of chemotherapy treatment, remember that the chemicals agents, most of them toxic, are mixing with the regular chemistry of her body. There will be changes and reactions that she cannot control -- hair falling out, "chemo brain" and these emotional outbursts. She may not recognize, process, or remember hurtful actions. I've seen patients cry during crossword puzzles, swear at squirrels, and do other unusual behavior while on chemo.

Also try to remember that these drugs take a tremendous physical toll on the body as they destroy cells. This can make her drowsy or dizzy. Her energy will ebb and flow, as will her desire to be social. Try to gauge when she's at her best and worst -- it will likely be right before chemo and the morning following, respectively. Interact more when she's feeling stronger.

Many readers have asked about feeling "powerless" as a patient or as a caregiver. As a caregiver, you may feel powerless in not knowing what to do or say -- Give her plenty of space. Have plenty of water and some bland comfort foods (oatmeal or crackers) ready to eat at all times.

The patient feels that way because of the changes in her system. With additional treatment, she should know what to expect and be able to manage them better personally. If the symptoms continue to heighten with each doseage, talk to the oncologist about it.

Give yourself some rest and some credit for helping her in this critical time. Remember you are not captive; you are helping her and have a choice to continue doing so.

Hang in there. This will not last forever.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. My sister has cancer, had chemo for 13 months every third week. Sometimes she treats me like I'm the worst person in the whole world. I do everything she asks, I walk on egg shells and she responds like I'm in her way. She asks me to do something and then yells at me when I've done it like I shouldn't have done it. I think it's just her feeling of losing control of her life. Her memory is so bad now that most of the things she says is so wrong it's crazy and all I can do is say, "Oh, I forgot" when she tells me I'm wrong. She won't let me tell my siblings she has cancer and she won't tell them. She chose me because I'm the strong one who will spend the money, cook, clean, fix anything, handle all matters, and make all the problems go away other than her illness. All I can ever say is "I'll always love you and I'm not going anywhere" when she's so mean to me. It's so very very hard.....Hang in there....I'm trying. By the way, I'm not complaining, just scared.

Hey.. I've been going through most of the same problems. My girlfriend has been doing chemotherapy for 2 or 3 months now and already has mood changes, even signs of "Chemo brain" and memory loss. The way she treats me and talks to me sometimes is unreal and recently unbearable. I'm trying my best to be there for her, but she does'nt allow me to see her. When I bring this to her attention she blames the problems on me. I figured I'd do some research and found this page and its defently been helpful in explaining why.. It feels better to know I'm not the only person going through this. I don't want to break up knowing it was something she didn't have control of. Its hard being pushed away at the same time i'm not sure if things will ever be how they once were.. I'm also somewhat scared for her but I'm still hanging on I guess.. Thanks for the info. God bless

Wow! I really thought that the search bar would give me a generic symptoms list but THIS! This is dead on. A very close friend of mine is undergoing chemotherapy. her mood swings for me are out of this world at times and I honestly am not sure how much longer I can hang in there. I am trying to be the caring and supportive friend but she outright MEAN at times. And a little... unpredictable to say the least. I too have walked on egg shells and have adjusted my interations with her in accordance with her mood. I am emotionally exhausted... I just dont knwo what to do. I want to continue being there for her but Its getting to a point where I just cant... Simple actions that generally show respect and care recieve only her irritation, attitude, and disrescpect at times. I'm scared for her but at the same time I see so much strenght and resilience I cant begin to explain it. Im just glad its not me... its not "her" its just her situation I guess. Great read!

JV2 answered...

I was just randomly hoping to find an answer as to whether what I am feeling as a breast cancer patient on chemo has been experienced by others. Wow! The answers posted have been right on the mark. Thank you. I am definitely like day and night. Angry/mean or normal/pleasant. That's it. I hate it and thought I was going crazy until I read posts on this site. I think there should be a waiver you have to sign before you start chemo warning you of all the ways it affects your everyday life and that of your loved ones.

Downnotout answered...

I am going through the same thing I started the care giving and after three chemotherapy sessions she has used words I never new could come out of her mouth . Married 27 years and she got so angry she asked for a devours but says she does not what to separate until she is better .this is crazy put she will not get rid of me that easy . Hanging in there is hard but I will see her through this .

CarolinaAnnie answered...

Speaking as a breast cancer patient, and a care taker for both my patents who had cancer, i can tell you it is the treatment. For example, yesterday i was jovial, today i cried at a commercial and wanted to kill another driver for nothing. It is the hormones going haywire from chemo. When i feel down or mad, i just tell my support staff to leave me alone for the day. Know the swings are temporary. We love and need the support and dont mean to lash out. Good luck to everyone

Flower24 answered...

Oh my God, I didn't expect this thread!

In January I went to live with my younger sister after the apartment building I lived in went to hell because of money hungry new owners. My sis told me that she was undergoing chemical chemo for breast cancer. I noticed that at first she had small mood swings, nothing major. After I moved in I discovered that my sister is taking care of her daughter's four year old child. Whew! Taking care of an active four year old is hard for a healthy person, but for a cancer patient?

Recently her chemo treatments were increased, and she's had several major melt-downs this past month. I mean rage, screaming fits that go on and on for hours at a time. Then I discovered that she stopped taking chemo for three weeks because her husband was in the hospital. My sister lied to me about going to chemo, too, and I admit I got angry at her for that. I help out as much as I can in the household by paying rent, cleaning up, you name it, but she has to take care of herself first. I listen to her and give her emotional support, but sometimes it's not enough. I used to feel guilty whenever I gave her space, now I don't. I'm considering going to my clinic and getting a referral to talk to a social worker, because sometimes the tension in our household is almost unbearable.

My sister has also begged me not to move out. Ever. I can't promise that. I never agreed to take care of someone else's child. I realize that the mood swings are not her fault, but all this high drama is wearing me down. Sometimes she's very bossy and very unreasonable.

I'm grateful there's a thread on this subject. Thanks!

CarolinaAnnie answered...

Caretakers need support as well. Have any of you gone to any support groups for caretakers? They do exist and i have heard they are helpful. Its normal to get overwhelmed. Dont feel guilty about it but talk to others.

My fiance is going through chemo now. He is on his 4th treatment and the mood swings are insane. He will be happy one minute and screaming out of anger the next. I've thought about leaving numerous times, but I guess I will stick with him through this tough time. Its very hard because I feel like everything I do is for him, but its just never good enough. He yells at everyone in the house and never seems happy. This is tough.

Michelle81 answered...

Im on my second battle with breast cancer and I've noticed I get anger really fast for little things. Not like me at all. Now that I have noticed it it is easier for me to see when Im doing it. Not sure whatelse I can do to keep myself in ck. Any ideas??!? Please. :/ I don't like the person I am becoming and want to change that.

Flower24 answered...

I'm quietly saving up as such money as I can so I can move out in the fall. I can't take this anymore. There is always one drama after another, and now I have my suspicions that my sister doesn't have cancer after all. It always seemed strange to me that she would mention being a cancer patient to everyone she meets. I realize now that might be a ploy to get sympathy and cooperation. The average person automatically becomes sympathetic when they hear that. Now I believe she does it to try to get cooperation and sympathy from her immediate family. The only problem is it's not working with them.

She's refused to let me go to chemo with her. I know she has other major health issues (heart, asthma, etc) but I'm seriously doubting the cancer one now. It was harder to figure out something was wrong when she had a car, but the car's in the shop and she's supposedly taking the bus to chemo on days when she takes her hubby and the grand-daughter to the doctor. Public transportation in this town is notoriously slow. She can't get around that fast. My sis used to be a nurse, so she does have a lot of medical knowledge she throws around. She says she has stage 2 breast cancer and before this she hasn't had treatment for over a month. When she found out I was researching online help for her she suddenly told me that everything was fine and dandy, despite the fact that she constantly complained that she couldn't afford the chemo co-pay. She's disabled and on Medicaid. As far as her having cancer goes, there's no way I can find out for sure, what with HIPPAA regulations and all. I have to let go and let God with this one.

I used to feel guilty thinking this way, like I was abandoning her. I don't feel that way anymore. I've talked to the social worker at my health clinic. I need to take care of myself now. I'll continue to pay rent and help out as much as I can, but the idea that I'll be leaving in the fall makes all this daily drama a lot easier to deal with.

Thank you for having this board and this site. And I apologize for coming on here in the first place. I feel like an all day sucker and a total fraud. You guys are dealing with the real thing, and I wish nothing but the best for you.

Anonymous007 answered...

Thanks for this page. I can finally see that I am not alone.

Two months ago, my older sister found out that she had breast cancer at exactly the same time that I was made redundant. So I put my life and job search on hold and started to help her - doing 4 day long trade fairs away from home for her business, driving her to her specialist 5 hours away, basically anything and everything I could so to help.

Two weeks ago, she had the double mastectomy and reconstruction and her new boyfriend came along too. She had told me that she couldn't tell him that he couldn't come (I now think it was me that she couldn't tell). So I ended up cooking and cleaning and being their maid for the time that we were away (10days), but I was just 'sucking it up' because I believed that I doing the 'right thing' by being there to help.

Then she blew up at me one night and spewed forth all this horrible stuff at me about how she was sick of me sponging off her and that I was only helping in order to be a martyr etc. I was amazed at how restrained I was, I never retaliated and just packed my bags and left and got a bus home. Yes, I expected her to pay for my meals whilst I was away from home helping her - she has a very lucrative business and I am unemployed! I have done nothing to warrant being called a martyr, I was just doing what I would want her to do for me if I was in her shoes.

I haven't seen her since and she has told my mother that I have remove the few pieces of furniture that I have stored in her garage. She has also started being really horrible to my mum now... she told her yesterday (Mother's day here) that she's looking for a now family because none of us care about her - completely untrue we all help as much as we can and only get criticism when we do help and are usually pushed away...

She is due to start 12 months of chemo in the next few weeks and, whilst I feel really guilty that I'm not there to support her ( I feel like a bad person for putting my own feeling first) but I just I don't feel like I'm in a happy enough position within myself to be her whipping boy to take her anger out on. What should I do?

Michelle81 answered...

I can't say I am sticking up for anyone that is being mean to friends and family. Its not an excuse but I can kind of relate with all the mixed emotions. I'll be as happy as can be one min and the next someone just talking pisses me off. I have gotten better with controlling myself now but it still comes out. I feel bad about it but there's all the steps of emotions that we go through. Nobody goes through them in the same order and we all have our own way of dealing. Ones that push their family and friends away will eventually realize what they have done. Just takes some a little longer to see it. I know you can only try so much but I think it would be good to stick your leg out a little and help them see you are only trying to help. Even if you just send a "Thinking of you" card. Im sure it couldn't hurt anyway. :)

Maggie L. answered...

This was the most comforting thing to find- most of the list of chemo side effects didn't really mention this, so I was worried I was making it up and being dramatic. My boyfriend has just gone through his final round of BEP; we haven't had a conversation since week one. It was one of those situations where he liked me and I just took awhile to catch up, but by then he was travelling back to Paris to receive treatment. We'd planned for me to visit once he was finished with his last cycle, but I just received my first word from him in a month: "No, I don't want to." A month ago he sent me a note saying that not only is he exhausted, but his feelings have all gone and everything and everyone annoys him; he hopes it's just the chemo and he'll go back to feeling like normal soon. After that I just decided to give him space, sending a letter every week and a half or so to show I'm still here for him without being overbearing. But after his latest message I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I'm so worried and miserable all the time. I feel completely empty and drained of everything I have; it's exhausting to care this deeply for someone and horrible not to get anything back. I thought he'd be here for me during this, but he isn't, and what's worse is that he won't let me be there for him. I feel like an idiot even calling him my boyfriend at this point. I want to wait for him, but I don't know what HE wants, and I don't know if what he wants now means anything since he's so sick and not himself. Or is this the new him? I feel so terrible; I'm just glad I know I'm not alone anymore.

I see that this demon we refer to as cancer, its' treatments and all that it encompasses is painful for everyone involved, on all levels. It is comforting to know that others affected by cancer, either as the patient or caretaker have sympathy for one another or can relate somehow. My husband of 27 years had cancer in the form of a large tumor at the base of his tongue (throat cancer) or squamous cell carcinoma caused by the HPV strain from oral sex. Whew! I never saw that train coming down the tracks...incidentally-I tested negative for HPV. This has been nothing less than hell to deal with. In the beginning it was the staggering news, the TYPE of cancer, the surgery to remove not one-but two tumors including a large tumor in the right lymph area of his neck as well as the base of tongue, MRSA contracted in the hospital, multiple antibiotics and medications-and now the radiation simultaneously with chemotherapy. Mood fluctuations? Yesterday, our dog decided to lay under MY CAR. Never before has he done this to my knowledge. I backed up over one of his paws. Hysterically I screamed for my husband to help me with our dog, only to have him aggressively pummel me with accusing words that I did it on purpose and I tried to kill our dog. Repeatedly he yelled at me those hurtful words. Remarkably, our dog had only abrasions and some swelling. I, however, never received an apology, kiss my ---, or any acknowledgement of any sort that his actions/words were extreme. I am hoping the unpredictable behavior goes away along with the poisonous drugs corsing through his body.

Carolyn in Toronto answered...

I have just finished the 6 chemo treatments after ovarian cancer surgery and I can say that the only mood swing I have is occasionally feeling depressed. I havent felt angry or aggressive toward anyone. I am glad I chose to NOT have caregivers around me all the time. Maybe its just too much because chemo makes you so sick probably the only person you can stand is yourself. It is truly emotionally "crazy making". Sorry for the caregivers but believe me chemotherapy is unlike anything else anyone would ever go thru

giggles7 answered...

Recently my girlfriend had breast cancer surgery,now she is going through chemotherepy,lost of hair,nausea,memory,appetite,her response towards me,i was feeling like she is drifting away from me,but after reading a few of these letters i realised i just have to be there for,be patience,caring and give her space,two months into our relationship she found out that she had breast cancer,i take her to her treatment for the first two sessions,then the said that she didn't want to be a Burden to me,so she will take the train by herself for a while and see how it feels,i felt like she was just pushing me away,but i said she just want to be independent again,so i back off and allow her to go on her own,i will hang in there with her because i do love and care for her.,sheis going through a lot,this is something that came along without warning and instructions its a lot for a person to deal with,so if you are having someone in your family going through chemotherapy,be patience with them and not to crowed them,their mood swings changes daily.

My father has been admitted to hospital with first appeared to be bronchitis but resulted to actually be Lung cancer.

Immediately he was scheduled to have an operation that removed the lower halve of his left lung and some glands. Test for the glands came back that showed some active cancer cells and was then scheduled to start with chemo.

He started his very first session a week ago (1 session every 3 weeks), came home and appeared to be very tired and first. Some days you would get home and have a plain normal conversation with him and everything would be as normal, then the next moment you have him so raging mad and blood shot red in the face "“ going around, screaming and fighting at all family members in the house.

Me and my husband had to move in with my parents due to some problems we had with trying to purchase a house that resulted in us cancelling the purchase. We would have moved out some time ago, but was asked to stay on for a little while longer due to my mother being retrenched and finishing work as of end October 2013.

Since then it has been hard, way harder than one would ever think is possible, dad going for chemo, then attitude and raging anger and mom without a job and trying hard, but in today's life it's difficult as age counts against a person trying to find something new.

My husband (27) and I (25) need to stay on in order to help paying the bond, living expenses "“ it is seriously knocking us down it is so hard to keep quiet and just keep a straight face and one ends us fighting and screaming back, I know it is wrong to do so, but one can't help being bad mouthed so bad and just accept it.

My father has a depression problem as well where he refuses to take any medication, and with the chemo therapy he is undergoing currently "“ let just put it that it doesn't help the situation any much than it was.

It is very hard to keep quiet and just to stand and take it "“ but one can try and give it your best this is the only way you can try and avoid any conflict, a soft answer and just to stay completely out of the way if you see the mood coming on. Good luck to everyone! And God Bless!

My mother is going through Chemo and from what I have researched and asked people who are supporting me, it is a normal reaction. I have received a letter from her saying that issues are who I am, she doesn't want me to talk to her, to stop calling her and contacting her in anyway. She said basically that I am the worst person she had ever met and said that I had an intent to hurt her. I have been trying to figure out what I could have possibly said that was so hurtful and I can't come to any conclusion. I love her and care for and she suddenly is saying that I don't love her. I am being told that it's not me, but I still feel like I did something wrong and I still am trying to figure it out. It's horrible and I just hope it gets better soon. I want my loving mother back, who was once grateful to have me in her life. It is almost Thanksgiving and while being so hurt by her words that she doesn't want anything to do with me right now, I am to be here alone, missing my family.

Im1qtpi answered...

I am so thankful to hear that I am not the only caregiver that is taking an emotional beating. My mother has rectal cancer and just did 6 weeks on chemo pump along with radiation 5 days a week for 8 weeks. She has been VERY impossible to deal with. She is very negative all the time, won't take her anxiety meds (she acts ten times worse if she misses a dose), says the Drs don't care if she lives or dies, has even put a gun to her head. She starts wailing if she doesn't get enough attention, she wants to be babied all the time, and she blows everything way out of proportion. She has just about ruined the relationship between us. She is living with me, my husband and 10 yr old, and 1 yr old and it's starting to take a toll on all of us. To be honest, I'm sick of it!

Gemelita answered...

With knowledge of how chemo causes mood swings I did not expect to be so bad. My daughter is in her fifth round and things get really bad. She screams, blames me for everything that in her mind is bad. I tried to stay out of her way to avoid some of the abuse. In addition, she made it very clear that she does not want me to her doctors visits and or treatment. As much as I understand that she does not have control in her responses, they do not stop from being so hurtful. Thank you for having this site it helps to know I am not alone

helpisontheway answered...

I am sorry yet glad to hear that I am not alone. Can someone post anything that can be given or done to the young patients to assist them in this difficult time or do we just accept this and try to bear through it all?

I understand caregivers deserve respect, but what I am reading on this page astounds me! Sisters no longer talking, a boyfriend saying "I guess I won't break up with her"...right now. They have CANCER! They are going through CHEMO! There's an abundance of side effects...and hello, dealing with the fact that you have cancer! What if it were you right now, could you sit here and say, "oh, I'd be so cool & great under chemo". NO! So, way to go people, maybe we're discovering another reason why cancer is such a "cancer", it's because people drop you once it gets "too hard" on them. You guys make it seem like the patient was asking for Cancer to destroy them. If you love them, just support.

soloo answered...

im one of those patients who will undergo a chemo and im hoping that i can carry those side effects without hurting people who sorround me.. I hope my family and the one who will take care of me they can understand whatever the outcome of chemo and the possible changes of me.. Lord help us to get through this...

I too am both happy and sad to know that I am not alone.

NO one told us anything about 'chemo brain', except a woman who was getting her chemol next to my Dad, for her second cancer. She seemed to provide the most information. It wasn't long that my Dad was confused, and he's always been very alert and aware and extremely intelligent, after the chemo started, that all changed. He asked me one night, to my surprise, "How do you pee?". He had completely forgotten the process...not just how to get to the bathroom and there was a toilet there...no, he couldn't remember how to make it come out of his body. I even thought he was joking. He wasn't. After a few seconds, he remembered, but it was scary to both of us.

I moved from Hawaii, put my place up for rent, my belongings are strewn across the country. Four days after getting here, my service animal died. My emotions are right at the top of my skin, and it is heart-breaking when my Dad lashes out. And when I say lash out, I MEAN lash out. He has screamed with rage three separate times to get OUT...move. He knows I have no where to go since I moved here to be here for him. I sleep on a couch within arms distance in case he needs anything. I feel guilty for going to sleep. What if he needs something and I don't hear him?

The anger and rage are killing me.

As his daughter, it's crushing to my soul. The things said are sometimes so personal and filled with name-calling and hard cursing. I mean...MAD! I've been here for three months, and it's the loneliest three months, and my self-esteem is in the garbage.

At least after reading the other posts, I don't feel like it's "me". It's the disease and the treatments.

When I first did an engine search my title was "Are people on chemo mean". I thought I'd get back nothing. So glad I ended up here.

SO GLAD THIS THREAD EXISTS! Thank you!!

It seems to me as if the cases here described are also a description of my current situation.

As a carer, I have the feeling that because cancer is somewhat invisible to the patient, they need someone to be blamed for their physical pain, and it is easy to associate the person that feeds you and cares for you with this evil entity trying to poison you and making sure you get your chemo/radio sessions.

I too find it unbearable at times. Then this patient chases me whilst telling me how horrible I am. Particularly on the day the next session is due.

But within limits, I am happy to know that it is not me being a bad caretaker given the number of responses to this thread, and if my theory is right, then I guess I must be a good one indeed.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I am so glad I stumbled on this site. It has given me some form of encouragement and to know that I am not the only one who has it 'bad'.My husband has cancer and liver metastases. It has been two years and he has gone for 3 bouts of chemotherapy. Lately, he is constantly angry and mean towards me & children. He just snaps at me and disagrees with me on everything. I feel very alone in this marriage...I don't know this man anymore...cancer has robbed me of my husband & my best friend. I just pray for patience to help me get through this trying times.

napnog answered...

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with a very rare sarcoma last month.The Dr's started chemo immediately. So far he has only had the first set. He goes back in the hospital on the 15th for the next set. His dad and I are divorced and he lives with his dad. He is having HORRIBLE mood swings.He said some really nasty things to me tonight and it just crushed me. I had no idea that chemo would cause this. I feel so bad now because I just snapped and got angry with him. The things he was saying were just awful! He told me I didnt deserve his love and that I am trash. He said he was so glad me and his dad divorced because I wasnt good enough for his dad. Now this is coming from a child that is known for his loving, caring attitude. Before this he wouldnt say a cross word to anyone. How do you deal with this? If I would have just sat there and said "ok i'm sorry" that would have been wrong too. Everything I have tried to do for him in the last few weeks has been wrong in his eyes. I love him un conditionally but my goodness his words were like a knife.

danfos answered...

I am 20 and in jan/feb (I try not to focus on dates) I was diagnosed with a gioblastomic (think that's how its spelt) terminal brain tumour all the doctors are constantly saying is that I'm doing so well ...blah...blah... Yeah .... So why am I,getting feelings allmost 247 of resent, thinking my family don't want me here ect, makes one feel,pathetic

CTconfused answered...

So, I googled "chemo rage" and ended up here. My wife has finished 2 of her 4 chemo sessions for breast cancer and it is extremely tense around here. She has asked me to move out during on rageful session and will not allow me to participate in any level of caregiving, only her mom and sister. Currently not speaking to me at all. I'm far from perfect but am a loving and caring husband and did not want to end a marriage like this. I'm somewhat relieved to see that this could be a symptom of the treatment and that I am not loosing my mind.

Feeling alone answered...

My mom is going through the same thing. She was just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. All of these comments sound just like her. She just had her 3rd chemo treatment yesterday. She goes once a week. Next week is her week off. She goes once a week for three weeks and has a week off. I lost my sister 5 years ago and bear the brunt of this myself. It is incredibly difficult and I often feel so alone. She has always been so independent and I know it's difficult for her to be so dependent on everyone else. I feel better and understand a little more since reading this. I guess all I can do is continue to pray for understanding for me and comfort and peace for her! God Bless you all as I know what you are going through!

I have a girlfriend we had a baby and after the pregnancy she had cancer. My life turned to be miserable, she creating issues for any small things, her family has not identified that the reason for stress is her chemio... so everyone in her family is shouting with me. I almost moved out to start a new life, but after seeing the experiences here, I might given another couple of months.

Bernie Queue answered...

I was just recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (which is still difficult to admit to myself) May of 2014 and began treatment the same day I was diagnosed. Sometimes I cry without any reason and am overly sensitive. I am grateful that my boyfriend has dealt with my emotions as patiently as he has because I know I have put a lot of unnecessary pressure on him. Luckily I haven't expressed any of the rage that many of the caretakers have experienced here. It surely is a daily struggle.