(800) 973-1540

Do Chantix side effects include body fluid odor or bad breath?

abundy17 asked...
Can Chantix cause bodily fluids to stink and bad breath?

Answers

Chantix can cause mouth dryness, which can definitely contribute to bad breath. This side effect can be made better by chewing gum or sucking on sugarless candies. Regarding the change in your body fluid odor, it makes sense that since the medication is drying, that your body fluids would become more concentrated, therefore changing their odor. If it is a big problem for you, I would call your health care provider and discuss it with them.

squirrels nest answered...

Chantix causing mouth dryness and bad breath is the least of the concerns taking this medication, especially someone that has any form of dementia. My husband has alz.s and while on this medication he had hallucinations and thought I was planning on separating from him among other things. He had fits of anger and personality changes, it was like I no longer new him anymore. He had quit smoking for three months and I just assumed his temper was from nicotine withdrawal or alz. symptoms. I had no idea he was taking this drug until I picked up his meds at the pharmacy and I was charged for it. I look into all our new meds on the internet and was shocked that his doctor had given him this drug, she either hadn,t read up on it or she figured the benefits gained from not smoking were worth the risk. I had him quit taking it because I couldn,t live with this non smoking person my husband had become. The pharmaceutical companies have absolutely no certainty of how these chemicals will affect the natural chemicals in the brain. The brain is still such a complex mystery that it is just educated guess work and the results of studies. This can be seen in the literature that accompanies any medication your given that that works on the brain. The list of side effects dealing with mental and emotional changes are listed last after the physical and in Canada usually include a heavily outlined box containing warnings about the risk of violent behavior and suicide. After my husband returned to his normal early onset Alzheimer self I found other people that had similar experiences and I wrote the Canadian government about them being approved for use when all the testing trials were still being studied and the frequency and serious nature of the side effects. I was surprised to receive a quick reply from the government with a stamped addressed envelope and form to list in detail any changes or incidents of concern I had during the time my husband took this drug. The reason I was surprised was because the government here rarely responds quickly to anything nor do they give you postage paid anything. Sorry for being long, I don,t usually take the time to comment unless it,s something I feel needs to be said.

I was extremely allergic to Chantix. It gave me a rash from neck to ankles (not really sure why it missed my face and feet). My cardiologist took one look at me and said, "Immediately stop taking whatever you are taking as you are having a severe negative reaction to it". So, I did not really get to see how well Chantix worked in the aide of quitting smoking BUT I have heard nothing but good things from friends that have used it. I chose to use the Nicotine patches for a couple of weeks. It says to use them for 2-3 months or something like that but I felt like once I got past the initial 2 weeks, I was ok to take them off and didn't want to prolong things. I haven't had a cigarette in 3 months now. I love being a non smoker. I personally think that the biggest key to being able to stop smoking, is truely wanting to quit for yourself. Good luck to all of the future non smokers out there :) It really, really is not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. I have not gained any weight either. I did need to keep carrots and gum close by at first and try to keep really busy (my garden helped a lot!). I really wanted to quit though and for myself this time.

I considered taking Chantix but my Dr did not recommend it for me due to my family history of suicide. I have never been suicidal but others in my family have.

It has been proven that Chantix is responsible for the deaths for many people who did not know this about this drug. I am grateful to my doctor to be in-tune with this awful side effect.

I personally know 5 people who have had relatives kill themselves while taking Chantix...not good.

I have also heard that a lot of people have great success with it. Please be aware of this side effect and if mental illness runs in your family, I would for sure not take Chantix.