(800) 973-1540

What are the chances of another stroke?

5 answers | Last updated: Feb 07, 2014
A year ago, when I was 30, I had a significant stroke. I had no significant symptoms, and recovered rapidly from the event. I've been to multiple specialists, and none of them can determine why I had a stroke (ischemic). I am not on any mediations, besides a baby asprain a day. What are the chances of a second stroke, and what can I do to prevent another stroke from happening?

Answers
Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.

The chances of having a second stroke depend a great deal on what caused the initial stroke. In someone your age, the usual causes of stroke are 1) a tear See also:
How can I be sure that a headache after a stroke isn't a ministroke, or TIA?

See all 487 questions about Stroke
in the artery, 2) an inborn problem with the arteries, 3) inborn heart disease - such as a hole in the heart, or 4) a clotting disorder.

I would make sure you see a stroke specialist. Seeing a general Neurologist may not be sufficient. A stroke specialist may have additional ideas and testing that was not considered.

That said, a fairly large number of people with stroke at a young age do not have an identifiable cause. Luckily, this group has a relatively low recurrence risk. It is the patients WITH an identifiable cause that are the most troubling, because they are more likely to have a recurrence. I cannot quote you an exact figure, but if you have been thoroughly examined (by a stroke physician) and no underlying cause has been found, you should have a very low recurrence risk.

TanyaM answered...

I am 36 and recently had a stroke. I am, well was perfectly healthy. I dont have answers to all of my questions, I just want to know why. My neurologist seems not to have answers. What do I think and what do I do?

stevekier answered...

I was 36 and had a major stroke due to a tear in my artery, that caused a clot that went to my brain and made me have a stroke, I went through rehabilition I was paralyzed on my left side,with some hard work and daily exercise it seems to be getting better

Marly26 answered...

Even though you are of a young age it is best that you be seen by a Heart Specialist. They at least can run some tests' i.e.Blood Work, MRI, as well as seeing a Neurologist. If you are unsure of why the stroke happened and no reasons really were given, why are you on the baby aspirin now. I know it is a precautionary measure however its best to get to the root of the cause. It could have been a small clot that may have caused your stroke to begin with. Is there family members' such as Mother or Father that have any Heart Condition. You are such a young age however this can happen to anyone, you are definetly not alone. Please do get checked via a Neurologist and if he deems necessary he will then send you to a Cardiologist. You didn't mention any medications that you may be taking, if you are. These are all things that both Neurologist/Cardiologist will check into. You can never be to careful.