(800) 973-1540

Can toenail fungus cause numbness?

I think my husband has toenail fungus. Could this be causing his toes to be numb all the time?

Answers
Caring.com User - Jane Andersen, DPM
Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle...

Your husband has two very common problems associated with aging: toenail fungus and numbness in the feet. It is important to realize, however, that these problems are not linked. Toenail fungus is caused by a variety of common fungi that can also cause athlete's foot. Numbness in the feet has many potential causes including neuropathy causes by diabetes or alcohol use, nerve entrapments, reactions to medications, and neuromas to name a few. Your husband should be seen by his podiatrist to determine the cause of the numbness and discuss possible treatments for both the numbness and fungus.

reneeg8966 answered...

I'm not a Dr., but have been plagued with toenail fungus for years as my job requires boots and or sneakers for 8-10 hours a day. At times things aren't so bad - however recently I had a bad bout and am just sick of it. So after much research decided to take matters into my own hands. The pain just got to be too much after developing an ingrown on both big toes. After a nice long soak and clean I got my Dremmel tool out and went to town. I could'nt stand the pressure beneath my nails ANYMORE! So I ground them down to where they're supposed to be, allowing access to the ingrowns. I DID discover that because of the pressure the ends of my toes HAD GONE NUMB! After Dremmeling and applying Vicks and a band aid just 24 hours ago - the feeling is already beginning to return. I will have my Dremmel out every week now - what relief! The internet also says medications will sooner get to the fungus if the nail can be penetrated. Vicks is wonderful for instant relief. It moisturizes the nail.

footdoctor newyork answered...

I am a board certified foot doctor in New York. The two problems are definitely unrelated. Usual causes of numbness in the feet include diabetes,thyroid disease,and b12 deficiency. Has he had any trauma to his feet? has there been any prior surgery on his lower extremity such as knees,hips?? Fungus on the toenails can be caused by longstanding athlete's foot (which in some cases to the untrained eye looks like nothing)or trauma to the toenail which in that case would provide a way for fungus to infect your toenail. There are also conditions which make you more susceptible to fungus such as excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis. Your best bet would be to take him to a foot specialist so that they can take a culture of the nail to see if indeed a fungus is present and then he should be worked up by his primary care doctor to rule out any systemic problems

witout a shadow of a dubt, your husband has toenail fungus ;-)

i'm experiencing similar symptoms on my left toe...and yes the nail on the toe looks ugly and brittle due to the fungus....unless there is a history of diabetes and alchool use...there is no reason for concern ;-)

mcdsha answered...

i agree with the writer. I was having a lot of pressure on my big to from the fungus that had formed after i had an ingrown toenail removed from the sides. the doctor did a messed up job and my toe looks terrible with one side of toe with a jagged edge along with fungus piled high. I took clippers to cut off the dead toenail, then I filed my big toe down on top and the side. the pressure is gone, now i just need to keep filing the side until it get smooth while the toe nail is growing back. The doctor claimed it was nothing i could do but put vicks vapor rub on it and hope for the best. It has been 2 months and i have so much relief and my toe is growing back. I bought some toenail fungus OTC and i do not know if it is really working but I have so much relief and can wear my shoes without pain.

George17 answered...

I remember when I had toenail fungus a while back. Like your husband, my toes became numb. Other than the numbness, I was worried about the appearance of my toes. I thought they would never look normal again! I heard of Fungusil and thankfully, it worked for me.