(800) 973-1540

Can a traumatic event cause congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy?

For this question:

Answers
Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40...

Sorry to hear about your husband's accident. It is possible but unlikely that your husband's cardiomyopathy was caused by a car accident. Acute congestive heart failure can occur after chest trauma due to a "stunned" heart muscle but generally isn't a chronic condition. Perhaps he had other underlying unrecognized risk factors for heart disease? We would recommend that your husband follow-up with a heart failure specialist.

kidteachmunsell answered...

I too have congestive heart failure and was diagnosed due to severe shortness of breath from even minimal walking. I also have cardiomyapathy stage 4. I have a 3 lead wire pacemaker(my second one, as they usually last only 6-7 yrs.) and am on coumadin to control atrial fib. I also take vasotec and lasix and a calcioum channel blocker. I have had this condition for over 14 years and have only been hopitalized as outpatient for the pacemaker surgeries and once to be diuresed for the swelling. I sleep on an adjustable bed to elevate my head for breathing and feet due to extreme swelling or edema.I just retired this year after 35 years as an educator and am relieved I do not have to climb 3 sets of stairs every day with the kindergarteners. Ha! I have a good quality of life but do get short winded after minimal exertion.