(800) 973-1540

Can a person get shingles more than once?

Heart5 asked...

Answers
BCassin43 answered...

For the most part, it is not possible to get shingles more than once. Occasionally a person will get shingles twice in their lifetime, but rarely more. Most times, people only acquire shingles one time. Having shingles allows your body to build up antibodies to fight against it, which is why a recurrance is unlikely. If the immune system is compromised by some chance, the ability to develop shingles will arise, and in this case it would be possible for a person to experience them again periodically. In one known case of a person with a compromised immune system, he battled shingles four times in his adulthood.

ladynajera answered...

Actually BCassin43 your wrong. I am 31 and in 6 years I have had shingles 7 times. My immune system for the most part is as good as anyone elses. The doctor told me that shingles lays dorment in your nerves if you ave problems with panic attacks or stress levels this could be a reason why you can have shingles multiple times. But some people get shingles and some dont.

Momofboys answered...

ladynajera is correct. I too have had shingles more times than I can count and I'm mid-50's. They happen when your immune system is run down, your stressed etc. One of my sons had shingles when he was 3 years of age.

cmfun1 answered...

I as well have had and continue to have reoccurring episodes of shingles. Approximately 3 to 4 times a year, some worse than others. I wish more information was available to those of us who are not the "one timers". Someone needs to conduct a new study on Shingles, to include the more common than not, reoccurring outbreaks.

During my life time I also have had recurring bouts with Shingles. Sometimes I have the pain and no visual outbreak of the rash. Yes a study on this would be extremely informational to those of us who suffer multiple bouts of Shingles.

I am 77 and have just had a second episode of shingles after the first one two years ago. I should have had the shingles vaccination after the first episode but my doctor convinced me that I would never have it twice in a life time. So much for incompetent doctors;

I am 40 years old and just got shingles for the 2nd time in 7 months. I am currently taking oral steroids for a bout of hives (not to be confused with shingles) that may have weakened my immune ststem. I consider myself a very healthy person with great eating habits and regular exercise. I also have friends who have coninued to get shingles after their first occurance. Not only is it possible to get shingles more than once, it seems more probable than not. The doctors have this one wrong.

Mama A answered...

Yes, someone can have shingles more than once. I got them for the first time when I was 13 years old & got them every year after until just a few years ago when I began getting them between 4-7 times a year!! I'm only 31. I currently have them now which makes the 3rd time since January.

i also get them several times a year, generally the same area, i get them when i am under stress, i have the nerve pain for several months in my hip and down my leg. i have been getting them several times a year for 30 years.

Wipedout answered...

I too am on my second boutof shingles, the doctor I just seen said impossible and the pharmacist agreed, yet I sit here with them. I am happy I found this as I am really concerned that maybe I have an underlying illness that is getting undetected. Thanks for posting

Auntie G answered...

I have also had the shingles more than once. In fact, I have had it 10 times in the last 3 years, and I am only 19 years old. I had to drop out of college because it was to stressful for me and I missed to much school every time I got a bout. I get it on my face and in my right eye...the eye specialist I see when I get a bout says that I will lose my sight in my eye because of it! I agree that a study should be done for those who get it more than once. Thanks for posting this, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who has it shingles multiple times.

lorij119 answered...

Is true they do reoccur. I have had since I was 15 tho I have been told scabies heat rash and blisters from herpes around my mouth. Are they not in the same family or the rash any how. Im 53 and on the average I have them 6 months of the year if not more. The pain has increased each time and the length of time I have a flare. It's more painful now then it ever has been so yes you can get more then one time.

ahenry answered...

I turned 45 last month and have had shingles at least 6 times over the last year. Interestingly enough, the first case was on the right side of my torso. All subsequent outbreaks of blisters have been on my left hand. However, the nerve pain affects both areas, sometimes without the blisters. No idea if it's a factor, but I did not get chicken pox until I was 18 and I was very, very ill from it. Now I know when I start getting fever and flu like symptoms, a shingle outbreak is sure to follow within a few days.I work with doctors and nobody seems to have an answer or a cure. The nerve pain is unbearable and nothing, Valtrex, Acyclovir, Lyrica helps

rkwnyc answered...

Even some doctors will still tell you it doesn't recur, but recent research has established that 1 out 20 shingles suffers can expect a second occurance within an average of 8 years or so. Details at http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/shingles-can-strike-twice-will-the-shingles-vaccine-help-201103021531

I've had shingles about five times now and yes, it manifested itself during highly stressful times. For years, I had nothing, and poof, at 57, reared its ugly head (and rash) again. It does re-occur and can and personally, I have noticed the pattern - severe stress.

Jenniye answered...

i am 22 and i get shingles on average 2x a year since i was 16. i thought something may b wrong with me since all research iv read about shingles said its uncommon to get it more thn 2x. so i feel better knowing people get it like i do. wipes forehead

I'm 28 years old and this is the 5th time I had shingles since I was 20 years of age. I agree that a new research should be conducted!

Katie Coo answered...

I had shingles when I was 12, I have now had them for the last 3 years, they last for a week, go away for a couple of days then it all starts again, it is so painful and tiring as wakes me up

cackercat11 answered...

I am 37 and on my second round of shingles in the past 3 months. The rash is in the same place as first time, on my lower back. The pain has been mild both times but not something I like feeling on a daily. I felt like I was going crazy until I read these posts. I think more studies need to be done. I never thought I would get shingles, especially twice. I am healthy and have little stress in my life. It just doesn't make sense.

GabyJoe answered...

I had shingles at 51 and they lasted two and a half months - then they came back about 30 days after the first bout ended. With a smaller window of only two weeks. Since then I have had recurring and severe back pain than feels exactly like the shingles pain I felt. At 57 I just developed psoriasis and strangely the shingles pain is more constant now than ever before. I have a large scar on my back from the first outbreak and it's this scab and the area around it where I feel the most pain. of the three people I know who have had shingles 2 of the 3 have had shingles more than once. Only the one who had it as a child, and is now 67, never got it again. The other two have had it more than twice and it seems to be triggered by stress.