(800) 973-1540

What climate is best for COPD?

cary asked...
With having COPD, would I be better off in the winter in warmer weather (Florida or Arizona)or cooler weather (Michigan)? Or does it really matter?

Answers

From what I know, there is no studies that show hot vs. cold climate has any effect on the course of COPD. The more important factor that you should consider would be air quality (pollution rates)of the area where you want to live, as areas with bad air quality would definitely cause breathing difficulty for a person with COPD. Another thing to consider is elevation above sea level, as higher elevations have less oxygen in the air, causing someone with COPD to work harder to breathe.

The best way to take care of your COPD is to make sure you get seen regularly by your health care provider, stop smoking, and take your medications as directed.

Jodine answered...

I am a 51yr old woman with severe COPD, I was diagnosed at 35. I am on oxygen 24/7 and I take my oxygen sats several times a day. I highly recommend anyone with COPD or anyone caring for someone with COPD to purchase a pulse/ox, They are expensive, but they do keep you informed as to your oxygen levels so that you can increase or decrease oxygen or have an indication of how stressed your lungs are. Back on subject, I find extremes to be a problem, I have breathing difficulty when showering which is moist hot heat, however it is even worse in cold air, which will cause a healthy person to struggle to breathe. I also live at 5000' elevation. I have been instructed to relocate to a warmer lower elevation. COPD is terrifying, I don't think there's anything worse than struggling for breath, I have a natural tendency to panic, which in turn makes it worse. I think however the hardest thing for me has been the pulmonary specialists I have encountered, The first told me I would never see 50, the second couldn't guarantee I'd live three years, It will be 3yrs in June.I realize I am going to die, but I go to a Dr. to learn how to live, to live with as much quality and dignity as I can. I don't need anyone to tell me how to die. My point is simple, Yes COPD is terminal, but that doesn't mean lay down and give up. We are all born terminal without exception.

imbunky2 answered...

I have COPD, diagnosed years ago. I have had all types of medications including O2 in my home. I live in the Northeast US. I will be moving to the Northwest US, during the summer or fall this year.

I have found that as a very active person, the winters in the Northeast prohibit me from walking as MUCH as I'd like and for as LONG as I'd like. This activity, several times a day, actually has helped my COPD and arthritis tremendously. I no longer use the O2 (although it's still in my home). I haven't been hospitalized in 2 years and my LFT's have improved dramatically.

We have to make a life change and life choices. My dear family is here, locally, but I wish to see them for years to come - via Skype and occasional visits. In the meantime, I will enjoy new scenery, new friends and a new lifestyle.

Please note, I am in the lower income bracket. It's a DECISION I needed to make and was appropriate for me. I'm now looking forward to the future and rarely think of my ailments, other than to take my 17 medications, which I limit to 1/day, mornings only.

NOTE:(I was previously taking 27 meds: 1/2/3/4 times/day; before/after breakfast; @ bedtime. My life revolved around 13 Drs., Hospitalizations and Medication Regimens. I gained control of my life, after 1 month, at

an Assisted Living Facility. I was OVERDOSED. I left
AMA, with one of my children.

Hate copd answered...

My mom has end stage copd. She lived in north Dakota. Was suffering horrible with systems. Not breathing and could hardly do respitory rehab by that I mean she struggled just to get there. I flew her to my home in capo beach ca. Within a day.. She was a different person breathing WAY easier! Within a week she has been covering the whole floor of Costco shopping. (lol) then Kmart. She rarely does a breathing treatment and at home she was doing at least 3 a day. COPD- MEANS LIVE HEALTHIER EASIER AND LONGER AT SEA LEVEL.......

fuzzy 64 answered...

Drs also gave ne grave answers did not listen starded walking slowly, eating right, took it one day at a time, now i work out daily walking lifting weights,also important , off Oxy ,most of the Meds Dr. now says i am Poster Boy, We can get better!

Cliff47 answered...

JUst to chime in. I lived in Arizona for 40 years and thats where I developed COPD. LIved and worked in Phx area and the bad air pollution along with allergies did me in. I relocated for summers in Michigan and this past winter tried Florida. I did much better there. It seems to vary from person to person.

Jinks answered...

Wife and I live in southeast New Mexico. The allergies and dust storms with a 40 degrees temperature shift plays hell on our copd. When we travel closer to sea level we both can breath better as long as she does not get around city pollutants. Now it's a question on where to live at closer to sea level.