(800) 973-1540

Are there seizure medications out there that are as effective as Depakote?

tinkerbella asked...
My husband is 39 and has seizures. He is on 2500mg of Depakote an I was wondering if there was a medicine that will be as effective as that medication so that we can cut down on the mgs.
For this question:

Answers
raven1 answered...

Has you'r husband tried carbopanzipine, dilantin or keppra? I am 52 and have Grand Mal seizures and take these daily.I have diazepen rectal gel for seizures lasting more than 2mins. or repeting at several times over a given period. Atavan is also calming and may help.

indianaqueen answered...

Always ask doctors first, but I have seizures and they tried just about every pill I thought there was, Depakote was one but it didn't do well so not on it any more, I am taking dilantin, vimpat 200 mg tabs and zonegram 800 mg daily which, is finally controlling my seizures for the first time in almost 30 years. Ask your doctor

I too have been on about ever medication out there. I am 38 currently on Depakote 500mgX2 as well as Lamictol 200X2...(These are not supposed to be taken together, I still have breakthroughs, I overdose at least once a week and have slight acne all over my shoulders and front of my body) At first it seemed(s) to be working but the more "WEIGHT" I gain seems as if the dose needs to go up to compensate for the gain. I have gained more than 30 lbs and rising since July when I started it. I personally have never heard of Depakote mg being lowered but only increased. My nero tells me there are other medications that will work like Depakote. I will inquire on the 27th. I wish you luck in finding another drug for your husband or some kind of medium that works for him

sargesam answered...

HEY I suffer with complex partial seizures and depakote am nd lamictal didnt work for me either then a new doctor turned me on to vimpat which now seem to be workin it's been almost 6 months since I had ( knock on wood )