(800) 973-1540

What could be the cause of an ache in my armpit?

9 answers | Last updated: May 24, 2014
I have a constant ache in my armpit. Ive had a mammogram and it showed nothing. I also had an ultrasound and it showed nothing. The feeling that I get is a numb feeling down my arm to my fingers. I'm 30 years old and this started when i was 28. What could be causing this?

Answers

There can be many things that cause an aching in your armpit, but the most interesting symptom you have is the numbness down your arm. This is usually a sign of nerve damage, so I am wondering if you have seen a neurologist for this problem. Have you ever injured your shoulder? Have you had any imaging tests of the area, like a XRay or CT scan? SInce you haven't gotten any relief or answers from you current provider, I think that you should ask to see an orthopedist or neurologist for more workup.

Bess McCarty answered...

As a former massage therapist, I've seen simple massage cure lots of numbness. Muscles can impinge on nerves. Yours may be the brachial nerve plexus. The pectoralis minor muscle is a main entrapper of this. Try massaging your pectoral area (chest below your collar bone), especially near your arm bone. Get an anatomy book from the library to get more specific. Other areas to try are above the collar bone. Search for a sore spot, especially one that triggers sensation down your arm. Then massage it, stretch it, and apply moist heat. Does this help?

Bess McCarty, HHP
Executive. Business. Life Coach
Breakthrough to the "Impossible"!
(512) 986-5288
Free Self-Coach Audio:
www.BessMcCarty.com
Bess@BessMcCarty.com

jancie11 answered...

I had the same problem, only all over my body 5 years ago. I had to shake my arms repeatedly just to get any feeling back in them. Go to knowthecause.com. Read about how fungus becomes a mycotoxin in your bloodstream and causes nerve damage. Get on a good probiotic....I prefer Dr O'Hira's 12 plus probiotic. It has saved my life! When fungus, overgrowth of yeast, parasites take over your gut, which 80% of your immune-system comes from your gut, you have an immune-system that is compromised! Within 3 days of starving the fungus etc. by what I avoided in my food, (corn, wheat, dairy, pasta etc), I felt like a new person and continue to eat the same today. My immune system is so strong, I have not been sick with a virus, flu, cold, not anything for 5 yrs, praise God! I hope this helps!

andyh54889 answered...

I also had ache and numbness in my left arm. After my doctor had a MRI taken, I was sent to a OrthoNeuro specialist. The cause of my pain & numbness was due to arthritis on my upper spine which was pinching nerves. I agree with the above reply from Jennifer Serafin, N.P. You should get further diagnosis before trying any type of treatment.

jorie13 answered...

Can be tied into your lymph system. I get an ache in my armpits when I use an floor exerciser that simply moves my feet back and forth when I am lying down (especially if I raise my arms above my head). The exercise oxygenates the cells. I would say go to your doctor first and get some tests run now.

donnab answered...

This is probably not your problem, but my Daddy had shoulder pain for over a year & thought it was just his arthritis getting worse. He finally went to his rheumatologist, who x-rayed his shoulder. The x-ray showed something that none of us were prepared for: a large pancoast tumor in the upper lobe of his lung. This was a shoulder x-ray, but the radiologist reading it saw the tumor. In researching this particular type of tumor, I discovered that shoulder pain is a primary indicator because as the tumor grows, it put pressure on a particular nerve. It was malignant & my Daddy has since passed on, but it was not from the cancer. Hopefully, this will prompt you to get a thorough check-up & put your mind at ease. God Bless You.

As a sufferer at the moment of an ache in the armpit caused by what has been diagnosed at two lymph nodes trapping a couple of veins, added to the fact that Im also a Non Hod. Lyphoma patient, I would STRONGLY recommend that that posting earlier about massaging is totally ignored. Massage is not a good treatment for lymphoma in fact its dangerous. Get a CAT scan sorted. What they thought was an embolism for me at first is now not....So, get the tests before the treatments. x