How does a broken hip heal without surgery?

Gloria J. asked...
My 90 year old father broke his hip, but the surgeon doesn't think surgery is a good choice for him. How does a broken hip heal without surgery?

Answers
RobinD answered...

It will not heal without surgery; however this will probably mean that your father will never walk again. It is time to put that phase into play where the caregiving will change tremendously.

The probable reason behind the surgeon saying it is not a good choice for him, is that the surgery is too risky for your father, given his health. The chances of survival is very slim and the anesthesia advances the severity of the disease.

Rhonda-Lynn answered...

My 83 year-old mother had a hip fracture in early March of this year. She was misdiagnosed for two weeks and, after two separate x-rays, was finally admitted to hospital with a confirmed fracture. She too was told that surgery would not be performed and that the fracture would heal with bed rest.

After six weeks and another x-ray, my Mum was released from hospital. She was pain free and was allowed to finally put weight on her injured hip. She had one good pain free week at home and then was in excruciating pain all over again. We rushed her by ambulance back to the hospital and, sure enough, the original fracture had come apart (she has osteoporosis) and, as a result also damaged the femur on the same same side.

My mother has since had surgery - bipolar arthroplasty - a week and a half ago. The surgery was performed using a spinal anesthetic. She is still in pain and we expect her recovery to be a long process, but we are fortunate that this option was available to her.

Wshing you and your family all the best. ((hugs))

I broke my hip 6 months ago. The X-ray didn't show a break but the MRI. After the MRI the surgeon scheduled surgery but happily he suggested I could try to let it heal on its own without surgery. It sounded like a great deal to me. I stayed home, used a walker for 6 weeks and put little to no weight on that leg. At 6 weeks I was allowed to quit using the walker (the walker was my choice over crutches which was what the surgeon gave me to use) consistently during that time. I stayed home 2 additional weeks. It is now 6 months out and life without screws in my hip is wonderful! I appreciate my surgeon; he could have done the surgery and made more money than he made from my office visits but chose what was best for his patient.