Mild to Moderate Alzheimer’sActivities Ideas Center
Start a Fish Tank
What you need:
Aquarium with filter or fishbowl (depending on type of fish), pebbles for tank bottom, plastic plants or other bowl décor, fish
What to know:
- Watching fish is a huge stress reliever. (Ever notice how many doctors' waiting rooms have them?)
- Whether you choose simple goldfish or fish that need a filter depends on your budget and your ability to maintain the tank. Ask clerks at a pet store for recommendations. Bear in mind that you, not your loved one, will be mainly responsible.
- Bring your loved one along to select the items for the tank and the fish. This makes a wonderful outing you may wish to repeat even after you have your own tank.
- Store fish food where your loved one can't get it, to prevent accidental multiple feedings.
- Alternative: Set up a fake fish tank. It's as relaxing to watch as the real thing, without the hassle of keeping anything alive. Search online under fish tank and faux or artificial or fake.
- Alternative: Encourage your loved one to watch videos or DVDs of fish and underwater life.