See templates for how to write a short obituary or a long obituary, along with sample short and long obituaries. Plus: Learn how to write and place an obituary--and get answers to frequently asked questions about obituaries or ask your own question.
Find out how to write a meaningful obituary to notify others publicly of a recent death in the family, as well as commemorate that loved one.
Learn about placing an obituary in a local newspaper and writing newspaper obituaries at Caring.com.
Use this checklist to keep track of the practical steps to take -- from notifying family to planning a memorial service -- after a loved one dies.
More About Obituary Notices
- How to Write a Short Obituary: A Template
- How to Write a Short Obituary: A Sample Obituary
- News Obituary: A Sample
- How to Write a Long Obituary: A Template
- Long Obituary Sample
- Quick Guide to Death Notifications and Obituaries
- Is it possible to challenge an obituary?
- Shouldn't I have been included in the obituary of my ex-husband?
- How do I obtain an obituary?
- Would you include a girlfriend of a son in the obitutary?
- How do we include adopted relatives in an obituary?
- How do I go about finding a funeral director?
- My dad just died, what do I do?