Medicare Coverage of Ventilators and Other Respiratory Assist Devices


What It Is

Ventilators and other respiratory assist devices, such as continuous positive airway pressure devices, for use by patients at home.

What's Covered

Medicare Part B pays for the rental of certain respiratory assist devices if prescribed by a doctor. The covered device must be rented from a Medicare-certified medical equipment supplier.

If you have a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plan: Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage plans, also called Medicare Advantage plans, must cover everything that's included in original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. But sometimes a Part C plan covers more, with extra services or an expanded amount of coverage. (Co-payments for Part C plans may also be different than those for Part A or Part B.) To find out whether your plan provides extra coverage or requires different co-payments for a respiratory assist device, contact the plan directly.

What Medicare Pays

Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for rental of a ventilator or other respiratory assist device, with patient responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

Warning: If a respiratory assist device is rented from what's called a Medicare "participating supplier," the supplier can't charge more than the Medicare-approved amount. However, a supplier who's enrolled in Medicare but isn't an officially participating supplier may charge more than the Medicare-approved amount. In that case, the patient must personally pay the difference between the Medicare-approved amount and the amount the supplier actually charges (on top of the 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount that Medicare doesn't pay).

Important: Regardless of the rules regarding any particular type of care or equipment, in order for Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, or a Medicare Part C plan to provide coverage, the care or equipment must meet two basic requirements:

  • The care or equipment must be "medically necessary." This means that it must be ordered or prescribed by a licensed physician or other authorized medical provider, and that Medicare (or a Medicare Part C plan) agrees that the care or equipment is necessary and proper. For help getting your care covered, see FAQ: How Can I Increase the Odds That Medicare Will Cover My Medical Service?

  • The care or equipment must be provided by a healthcare provider or equipment supplier who participates in Medicare.

Was this medicareinformation helpful?

1 Comment So Far. Add Your Wisdom.

about 3 years ago

This is what I expected. Thank you very much!

For this question:

Default_avatar-hhd399496100

Want More Medicare Info?

< Browse Other Medicare Topics
Stay Connected With Caring.com

Receive the latest news and tips in your inbox

Join our social communities: