Payment Options

Accepting inquiries

Reviews of Southern Oaks Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

Posted by Jane.Jemison September 11, 2014
1.0

My mom was recommended to a nursing home, Southern Oaks in Pensacola, FL. for "rehabilitation" purposes. In the two weeks she was there she hallucinated the entire time, (was not hallucinating before she was admitted nor does she have Dementia or Alzheimer's) they lost a lot of clothes, lost glasses, lost a blanket, and another patient rolled into my mom's room and my sister asked, is that my mom's shirt on that patient?” They checked the tag and sure enough it was her shirt. My mom was left in her soiled diaper, so much so that it soaked through her clothes (#1 & #2). The only doctor she has seen is a general physician and maybe a psychiatrist. In the 2 weeks she was in the home, she only seen the general physician one time, for a few short minutes. My sister and I asked numerous times to speak with the physician that seen her. They told my sister to come back the next morning and she could speak with the doctor, who turned out to be a psychiatrist and he did not know who my mom was, why she was there or state of health. She is in the home for rehabilitation due to a bad liver, not depression. Why did they send a psychiatrist to speak to my sister concerning my mother’s health? When my sister questioned the nurse about the general physician, she was told, "There are 200 patients in this building and he comes once a week. He is hard to get a hold to" or something of that nature but that is the gist of the response that she received. Why does this facility have only one doctor for 200 patients and is only required to come one day a week? If the work load is that hard on him that he can't even take time to speak with the patients family, don't you think they should look into hiring two doctors? When I walked into the nursing home on Wednesday, 09/10/14 the first thing I saw was two nurses going at it in the hall way. Yelling at each other, while other employees were telling them to be quiet, that didn't stop them, they just kept on yelling. I took her out of the nursing home and to the ER on my own accord. The ER explained to me that her ammonia levels were up and that she needs to be admitted. The next day Baptist took 2 liters of fluid out of her stomach. They are now trying to do everything they can to get her mental state back to normal again. I don't understand why it took my sister and I to notice that my mom needed to seek medical treatment. Why did the team of highly trained staff NOT notice anything? We told them numerous times that her behavior was in no way, shape, or form normal for her. I was treated badly when discussing the poor treatment of my mother with staff. They did not take proper care of my mother and I do not understand why no one cared to fix the situation and why I was being treated like a criminal. Southern Oaks was more concerned with protecting the staff and management team then they were my mother. This has been the worst experience. I am going to do whatever it takes to have this facility thoroughly investigated. I feel bad for the patients who do not have loved ones to come check on them. I know they are being treated poorly. This is a very sad situation for our loved ones who are unable to care for themselves. Do our elders not deserve dignity and respect?

Posted by overlord February 20, 2014

I heard the awful reviews of Southern oaks, but went to check it out. Gina, who seemed very knowledgeable and friendly gave me a tour of the facility. She introduced me to so many of the staff and told me what they believed in. While on the tour, I had three residents tell me how much they enjoyed living there and that they wouldn't want to be anyplace else. I was then introduced to Candace, who helped me become aware of what I needed to do financially to bring in my mother. She helped a great deal! I met the administrator, and he told me about his passion of being there. I am so glad I went and toured, because now I know I placed my mom in the right place to give her the care she needs!

Posted by Blissful Daughter December 08, 2012

I have found the people at the Southern Oaks to be wonderful & caring. My father is a resident on the dimentia Unit & I am amazed at how wonderful everyone is... not just the care givers but all that work there. They know each patient by name, no matter where they are. Candice is wonderful at working with you regarding the financial aid that is available and all and all they are wonderful! Thank you Southern Oaks for making a difficult time in our lives a little easier.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 106051

Health
4.0
Overall
4.0
Quality