Reviews of Prairie Estates

Posted by winteriris April 20, 2014
1.0

My dad stayed three weeks. We couldn't get him out of there fast enough! The attendants spend most of their time on their cell phones talking or playing games, the nurses favorite response to everything is, "I'll let someone know" - we never found out who "someone" was because they never appeared. Dad cannot get out of bed unattended, the nurse call button was ineffective - typical response time was an hour or more, if at all. If my family and I had not kept on the staff he would have been ignored. He is constantly left in soiled clothes to the point is is chaffed and raw. He is on a feeding tube which they "forget" to hook up to the point he often complained of being hungry - something we never heard in the four years he has been on the tube prior to coming to Prairie Estates. It looks nice from the outside, but don't be fooled. The care is HORRIFIC! They couldn't care less about their residents. I'm sure the owner is most concerned for the profit, because he certainly doesn't appear to be concerned with the level of care provided! STAY AWAY!

Posted by cahoule March 07, 2014
1.0

My mom is 86 and came to the facility with a broken right arm. She is diabetic. We had problems from the staff from the start. It takes 20-25 minutes for her call light to be answered. From 2-27-14 until 3-3-14 we couldn't get her meals straightened out. The months menu wasn't provided upfront. The diet really wasn't a diabetic friendly. Often her meals arrived late. One day I ordered crab cakes for her and we got pasta salad (it may have had some crab in it). At lunch one day she was served a cheeseburger on a bun, a roll, French fries, a dessert, & salad, inappropriate. My mother was on oxygen and the techs often left it off. Her arm was to be elevated & this was a constant problem, which resulted in her hand and fingers swelling. Knowing a permanent cast could not be set until the swelling had gone down. My mother started to vomit while reclined. Her nurse was in the room. He wasn't helping and I told my sister to get her up so she wouldn't choke while I held her up from behind. The nurse went to get a garbage can. The same nurse brought her 7 pills without any drink to take it with and left her alone. My mother is a choking risk. Her bed was uncomfortable so the physical therapist suggested they order and we purchase a gel pad for her bed. We did. After all of these problems we decided to move her to Stonemere a very nice facility. The therapist came around and collected from me the fee for the gel pad before we transferred her out. Later my sister was told that the administrator had told an employee to destroy the check & that the order would be unfilled since she was no longer a resident. I could go on but won't. I can not recommend this facility. This nursing home staff for the most part are uncaring, unprofessional, & understaffed.

Posted by dorbers May 25, 2013
1.0

My mother was brought to this facility after a 4 day hospital stay from a UTI infection. I was told she needed P/T to strenghten her legs again. The P/T dept was great with her. But as many times as I told the staff she is deaf and has Alzheimer's and does not understand she has to ring the call bell when she has to use the bathroom, or even realize she has to use the bathroom, she was always sitting in a wet diaper when I went to visit on a daily basis. In the 2 months she was there, she ended up with 2 UTI infections from not being changed often enough. Her room always smelled like urine, because she was soaking wet and the wet clothes they removed from her were just thrown in the bottom of her closet and not put into a plastic bag. Her discharge was changed to the following week and P/T did not pick up again while she was still there because "they already discharged her last week". Even though she was still there another week, she was supposed to be receiving "restoritive therapy", but not one person gave her any therapy for a week. which means she just sat in a wheelchair or laid in bed for 7 days with no therapy at all. I was told "I'm sorry, i guess we dropped the ball on this". Her strength in her legs were worse when she came home. I took her out of there on Friday and she fell on Sunday, and is now bedridden. I don't feel that was good quality care. Then to find out that some of the information I received from the social worker was not true a far as Medicare covering transfortation home for her and her qualifity for a bariatric bed which she had in the facility. I paid for transportation home to get her out of there. I called Medicare myself and was told they would have covered it and also they would also cover a bariatric bed for her. They are very short staffed as far as the aides. It is a beautiful facility, but the care is horrible and I do not recomend the place at all.

Posted by Kimbo1973 October 20, 2012
2.0

My m-i-l has been a resident for two weeks and the staff member at the desk of that wing still doesn't recognize her name if asked her room number. I don't expect you to have the number memorized but don't scare visitors into thinking the staff doesn't know names of who they have.

The facility smells like urine all thru it and it takes 30+ minutes for a staff/nurse member to show up if you need them. She plans to leave or transfer.

She said the PT staff is fabulous, though.

Posted by KTFson December 28, 2011

My mother was a patient at Prairie Estates and I could not have been MORE PLEASED with the care she received. In September, my mother fell while getting out of the bathtub and broke her hip. She was in the hospital for 4 days and then transferred to Prairie Estates for Rehab Therapy. I cannot say enough good things about the amazing staff that helped my mother recover and return home. The nurses really seemed to care and enjoy each of the patients they take care of. Each went out of their way to make sure Mom was "having a good day" and that she was comfortable. I found the therapy staff to be knowledgable and caring as they helped my mother recover from her fall. They even went to her house to evaluate what specific challenges she would have in re-entering back into her home and made that a part of her therapy. I would truly recomend Prairie Estates to anyone. My mother has been back home for over a month now and to think that we would all spend Christmas back around her table enjoying each other is truly a blessing. I truly Thank God the social worker at the hospital sent me to tour such a great place.

Posted by fightingeagle August 05, 2011
1.0

Stay away from this nursing home! Not only is the care bad but the business is not well run either. We had our mother-in-law at this place for a few months prior to brain tumor surgery. She had 3 diabetic coma's due to poorly administered insulin. Two times she was transported to the emergency room with the nursing home claiming she was having a seizure when in fact it was a insulin shock - too much insulin in her system for the amount of food they were giving her.

Then shortly after the brain surgery, they had her evaluated by a doctor who claimed she was mentally incompetent and we had to move her to a locked down facility. They gave us less than 2 weeks to find a new place. Turns out they had her so doped up, she had no idea where she was, who she was or anything.

Now that she is in a new place, they are suing my husband and I for her debts! She is a Medicaid patient and has no funds that are not controlled by the government. So, they want my husband and I to pay!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Posted by AdirondakGirl March 25, 2011

My stay at Prairie Estates

Food is terrible. Most employees are nice and caring. Beds are extremely uncomfortable. This place is like a German run camp. Our way or the highway. If you are in your 80's or have Alzheimers it might be ok for you, but this is mostly a nursing home............If you are under 60 you might want to reconsider............. It looks nice but looks are deceiving........ I hate it here and will never ever come back here.

Posted by Allan Jacobs August 10, 2009

My loved one stayed here

The staff is poorly trained and indifferent to patient needs. My mother's legs were swollen with water to the point her legs were numb. The doctor didn't want to treat this condition. I took me calling the primary care physician to get this treated. Medication distribution is inconsistent. As an example the morning medication was not delivered until 1:45pm. For someone on medication 4 times a day this means missed dosages. Complaints to floor nurses and to administration result in no change. The facility looks nice because it's only a couple of years old, but the quality of care is below par. There is not adequate staff available to meet the residents needs.

Posted by robinlclem August 05, 2009

I stayed here

This place looks nice but the care is not good. We never have enough aides and the directors do not care about our problems. Sometimes we don't even get our medication for several days. The activities are pretty good but there's not enough choices. It's always the same things over an over. They fire all the good staff an keep the bad ones.

Posted by amanda harman March 31, 2009

My loved one stayed here

our mother was there three months, she fell four times finally breaking a hip. after her hospital stay we found another place. Staff was rude, very slow to answer call and did not keep us informed of her condition. it looks beautiful but the staff is simply not trained, tryed management -that did no good. they were always out, busy or in a meeting.

Posted by Stuart House March 25, 2009

My loved one stayed here

My dad was here for about 4 months. Faculty was slow to respond and poorly trained. Turnover of staff was frequent, even in administrative staff. Facility was new and very luxurious. Rooms were a bit small, but well appointed. Staff shortage was a real problem.

Posted by Brenda Trammell March 08, 2009

My loved one stayed here

My mom has been here for 3 months recovering from a stroke. I can not say enough good things about the people who are taking care of her. From the rebab department to the nurses to the attendants my family has been very pleased. No place would be as good as home but this place has been the next best thing. We feel very blessed to have found such a wonderful place for mom.

Posted by LB January 29, 2009
2.0

My loved one used this service

Very nice, clean appearance. The nursing staff was oftentimes rude, neglectful, and sometimes would not even respond to her questions. Although complaints to management were made, no improvement. One to three hour wait for nurse to respond to call light. Therapy staff was excellent.

Posted by Billie Cooper September 14, 2008

My loved one stayed here

My mother stayed in this facility for three weeks. The nursing staff, and, or PA did not catch the fact she was dehydrated. We informed her nurse twice she appeared dehydrated, and was not taking in fuids. We also were not informed she had diarrhea. We called an ambulance our selves for her and took her to the emergency room. She had C-diff, and was severly dehydrated. She died within a day and a half.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 676145

Health
2.0
Overall
1.0
Quality