Top nearby Nursing Homes:

Reviews of Mount Royal Towers

Posted by Emma7 June 26, 2013
3.0

I've been to Mount Royal twice. The place and the staff were both nice.

Posted by Caring42501 April 30, 2013
2.0

Mom was at Mount Royal from 2008 to late 2011. At first, she was given pretty good care but then the care fell off. The staff on the floor where my mom was originally on was good. But when she moved to another floor, the staff was terrible. It just seemed like the care wasn't consistent throughout. I had to complain to the administration. I also found out that the facility was on the Medicaid and Medicare watch list.

My mother was walking before she had to go to the emergency room from there and she hasn't walked since. Her health deteriorated because of that place. She had an infection for weeks and they didn't even check to see what was going on with her. She was dehydrated. She could barely sit up and wouldn't take in food or water. It was just terrible. The food was pretty good and reasonable though.

They had a high employee turnover rate. People would stay for 2-3 months and they would leave. They need to improve on the consistency of the caregivers because the caregivers cannot know a patient if they're not there for more than 2 weeks and then the facility hires somebody else. I ended up complaining about one of the nurses because she claimed that they gave my Momma insulin with no food. Mom was rushed to the emergency room, and I told that nurse that that had happened before. She didn't know about it. But if you were an RN, you're supposed to read the files and know that this person cannot take insulin without eating.

I wouldn't recommend this facility. I know somebody who complained about the care too so I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

Posted by als9674 July 29, 2012

Mt. Royal Towers is one of the nicest assisted living facilities I have seen. The staff is very friendly and take the time to get to know their residents/patients. It is always clean and bright and doesn't have the smell that you get with other assisted living places. They have tons of activities for the residents to keep them busy. There is a "Seniors" Prom. garden plots, and all sorts of activities. What else was nice is that it had an independent living facility, rehab floor, Alzheimer's floor, and assisted living facility so that my friend's mom could stay at the same complex and still have some familiar things and people around. The admitting staff was very helpful with helping us to get all the correct paperwork together and making sure the transition was a smooth one for my friend's mother. The only downside was that the entrance area only had one receptionist and it was extremely busy. We had to wait almost 15 minutes to be helped.

Posted by rrm February 17, 2012
4.0

Mount Royal has very nice facilities with fabulous views across Birmingham. The nurses were all very kind to my grandparents and quick to help with any problems. The home features a few nice communal dining areas and a balcony area to tend plants or just enjoy some sun overlooking the city. The meal service is prompt every day and the meals are enjoyable, plus the staff is willing to cater to specific needs or just picky eaters. Different rooms offer different luxuries, my grandparents' having a sitting/TV room and kitchen in addition to the bedroom and bathroom. There is a friendly atmosphere about the place. Decorations are always out for holidays (i.e. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, etc.) and again the staff goes out of their way to make their residents feel at home. I would recommend Mount Royal to anyone looking for a reasonably priced but nice and nurturing place to move his or her loved ones.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 015455

Health
1.0
Overall
2.0
Quality