Payment Options

Centre Crest Home
64px-hh6b80fd52d1
Posted by Caring6500 June 12, 2013
1.0

Centre Crest was a fairly clean facility and the staff were nice enough. What I don't like about this place was that they discharged my son when he was not yet ready. He still needed physical therapy at that time especially when he was coming home to a house with stairs. The social worker didn't care and what he did was to get my son out of there so that that would be available for someone else. He knew he doesn't have a job and he was intimidating us with how expensive it was to stay there.

Centre Crest Home
64px-hh6b80fd52d1
Posted by Johnny2 June 22, 2012
4.0

I debated whether to give it a 3 or 4, above... Centre Crest is quite nice in many ways, but does have its problems. It is the County-owned nursing home (Centre County, PA), and perhaps has to be a bit more frugal than some others in the area. First impressions were that it was quite "institutional" - all straight hard-tile hallways and close-quarters, "dorm room style" living. Part of what may also make it seem uncomfortable at first is it seems that they are handed many of the most severely debilitated people, (frequently making communication with fellow residents difficult) compared to some other places that handle more people that are merely "slowing down" in life.There are a few problems - much of which seem to stem from policies dictating how nurses handle particular events... such as not taking residents to the bathroom during meals (yes, all the nurses are busy feeding those who can't feed themselves, but there must be a better way to structure this - stagger meals or something). In general, my highest concern was how long it often took to answer call bells. Often it would be answered quickly, but the person had to wait for their requested service until more nurses were available, which was fine... but other times nobody even checked for quite a while (15 min to 1/2 hour). This seems to be a problem somewhere between lack of staff and lack of structure to staff duties - such as one person designated to answer all call bells IMMEDIATELY and prioritize their need for the rest of the nurses to assist. This is NOT a lazy-nurse problem, as far as as I can see - the nurses are run off their feet most of the time. Fortunately, this wasn't an accute problem for my relative, but had ANOTHER relative of mine been in, he could not have tolerated it, as if he had angina, he would need a nitroglycerin pill THAT MINUTE to prevent it from becoming a more serious heart problem.The other major problem WE had was an issue with the staff doctor keeping our family member on a medication too long that was causing severe mental side-effects. To his credit, however, he wasn't the one who put her on it, and anyway, this is a problem we have had with MANY doctors in this area - nothing particular to this facility.Now, on the bright side... The nursing staff, busy as they are, seem terrific. Most are very attentive and caring with the residents, at least once policy and/or time available lets them. They work very hard to make people as comfortable as possible.As far as those policies I criticized, they do have an upside - such as a strict policy of no restraints on people who can't control their movement. The staff go far out of their way to pad rooms and keep an eye on such individuals. Centre Crest has a strong resident's association to watch out for each other and push for policies such as this one.The facility also tries to provide outside contact and activities for residents - a gardening club, frequent musical entertainers, field trips for those who wish, and in-house church services among them.All in all, even with my criticisms, if my relative needed another stay (was in for long term rehab / phys therapy for a stroke), I think we would pick Centre Crest again, as the nurses seem quite good despite some of the other issues.I apologise for this being so long - I'm sure I have 150 words! I hope it is not beyond what you can use. My relative was hospitalized and in re-hab a total of five months last year, three of which were in Centre Crest, so we got to know the place pretty well. I hope this is of use to you.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 395779

Health
1.0
Overall
1.0
Quality