Reviews of Westminster Oaks Retirement Community

Posted by famguy1985cr October 06, 2012
4.0

I must say I was impressed with this facility. I am in healthcare and have been in and out of many retirement communities and nursing facilities. This one was clean and welcoming. The patient's were not running around dirty or unmonitored. The staff seemed to enjoy working there and new which resident needed what. They knew which needs needed to be addressed and did so accordingly. I also noticed that the typical community smell found in many older folks homes was not present in this one. All in all I was very impressed and when looking for a place to put one of my own family members, this would be at the top of my list. I think they would be happy here with the different activities available the other friendly residents, and the knowledgeable caring staff. Of the homes I have seen, this by far is in my top five.

Posted by musicdiva1331 July 25, 2012

The staff was very personable every time I was there, they always made sure that we had space to unpack instruments and enough space to set up. Once, as a group with my church, one of the church members who resides there took us on a tour so that we could see what was available to them. It was amazing! They have a salon, a movie theatre, a second hand store, everything. Recently, they acquired an organ and they used it for a silent film event they were hosting. It's just amazing, they do things with the community as a whole and reach out to college students, allowing us to do practice recitals and concerts and more, really creating a broad understanding of the unique environment that is Tallahassee. They strive to keep the people residing in their facility as independent as possible for as long as they can. I've never heard anything negative about it and those that I've met who live there really enjoy it. The location is beautiful as well.

Posted by Jamesmc July 24, 2012
4.0

The staff was very helpful and the buildings were super nice, especially the town-home style homes. The facilities were top-of-line including a small "town square" set of shops, game rooms, etc. where residents could spend their time. The food was very good and the cafeteria staff were among the nicest of the staff members. The actual rooms were somewhat small but I really only saw rooms that were for mostly immobile patients so others may have been bigger if needed. They have everything I would imagine someone would need in a retirement community.

Posted by beckylouboo June 25, 2012
3.0

My grandmother transferred to Westminster Oaks from Westminster Shores in St. Petersburg, Florida. She had come to the end of her money and ready to enter an Assisted-Living facility but wanted to be near my mother and I in Tallahassee. We originally were told that she would be on the first floor with the more "cognizant" individuals. When we arrived, however, she was placed on the second floor with the incoherent, particularly her roommate, who introduced herself to you constantly. After my grandmother was moved in (which was difficult due to needing "approval" for all the furniture), my grandmother decided to attend one of the events in the dining room down the hall. She was not very enthused to learn that she would be the only one, among 10 people sitting there, capable of participating. After that she decided that she would rather sit on my couch all day than be in that environment. The only reason my grandmother needed to be placed in an ALF was to ensure that she wore her oxygen and took her pill's, otherwise she was "sharp as a tack." Unfortunately, for those very reasons, Westminster Oaks decided she needed to stay on that 2nd floor. It was disappointing, but luckily we had very nice staff that were very helpful and always present and available to her. The food was always great and my grandmother always insisted on being "home" for dinner. The one thing that I liked the most was simply the design of the interior of the facility itself; large halls with lampposts down the center with park benches to sit on, and room doors and exteriors mimicking mini houses with flower boxes and windows.Overall, Westminster Oaks was a wonderful facility, but the floor confusion really did become a source of stress for the whole family. I would have understood putting her on that floor in a private room, perhaps, but that was not the case.

Posted by Everett June 21, 2012

Westminster Oaks in Tallahassee, Fl is a wonderful place to retire and really enjoy life. With so many activities it is hard to choose those to go to and or participate in. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially young retirees (under seventy!) By coming early, you get the benefits of on going health care that is usually not available elsewhere. It is like living in a resort with all the concerts, physical activities, movies, etc. I have been here one and a half years and I have not passed a single person who did not smile and say hello and that includes the marvelous staff. Please come and join us at Westminster.

Posted by mcoff April 11, 2012
2.0

I visited this facility and I did not like what I smelled or saw. The place smelled like urine and the patient were hard to contain. I was there to sing for the patients and the staff was not prompt in getting the patients into the meeting room. I also did a tour because I was thinking of my elderly parents. We must've waiting about 1/2hour before all the patients were in the room. I saw very little attentive staff interacting with the patients. One positive about the visit is that they had secure doors to the facility. We could hardly get someone's attention to let us in, so I know their patients could not escape. Walking in this facility, it did not feel like home. This facility feels like an institution. The colors of the walls did not help make me feel at home. The hallway we had to walk down, felt small, maybe because of all the people in wheelchairs that were in the hall. The nurses' station was behind glass and doors and felt so impersonal.

Posted by sunnyp76 January 21, 2012

My great aunt (age 95) resides in the health center area of Westminster Oaks. Although confined to a wheelchair (she has had several strokes) her mind is still sharp and she remains as active as her wheelchair will allow. She still takes herself to the dining room for her meals each day, and although she resides in the health center area, each time I have visited I have been impressed by the homey, neighborhood feel of that area. Even though it is a medical facility designed to provide long-term care, the hallways are designed to look like neighborhood streets and entrances to the patient rooms look like the front doors of home. The nursing staff are friendly and caring, and my great aunt is able to keep several pieces of her own furniture in her room for a more homey feel. Although her room is only semi-private, there is a partial wall that divides her space from her roommates and she is quite comfortable with the level of privacy. She also enjoys the well-manicured and beautifully-landscaped grounds at Westminster Oaks and has a fantastic view from the large window in her room. There are also plenty of activities and classes for the residents designed to keep their minds and bodies active and healthy. My aunt jokes that she doesn't like playing bingo, but she has plenty of other choices when it comes to how she spends her free time. All in all, I feel wonderful knowing my elderly relative is receiving excellent care from the compassionate and well-trained medical staff at Westminster Oaks.

Location of Westminster Oaks Retirement Community