Reviews of Spring Valley Assisted Living Residence

4.0

My parents both arrived around Christmastime. The warmth of the staff is what drew them there. When we moved dad to another facility closer to us after mom's passing, we couldn't do it without passing out hugs to the staff that were there on moving day.

They treated mom and dad with respect and caring, and treated me like one of the family. I made frequent visits there and got to know many of the staff over the course of several months. The director had actually been a caregiver to another family member several years earlier.

Sometimes the youth of the staff was a little unnerving, as was mentioned by another reviewer, but I found that the oversight and organizational structure seemed to compensate for that pretty well.

Yeah, the food wasn't restaurant quality, but mom and dad didn't complain. Sometimes we forget that the taste buds of folks in their 80's can't tolerate the over-salted, over-sugared, over-processed, and over-proportioned foods we get in most restaurants. Spring Valley's food was good enough.

I didn't care for the location at first, being on busy Harlow Road, but I found the convenience of that location to make it very convenient for family and friends to swing by during a shopping or movie excursion. The folks got many more visitors than they might in a more pastoral, rural setting.

Mostly, though, it was the people that made Spring Valley special for all of us.

Posted by Happy Daughter7 April 30, 2014
4.0

My father has been in Spring Valley for a year and I have been impressed with the caring staff. Whenever I take him away for several days they always have his meds ready to go and well marked. This detail tells me a lot about the facility.

Posted by watonness December 22, 2012
4.0

When I visited Spring Valley Assisted Living, I was there to visit my great aunt Harriet. She seems very happy with her living situation at the facility. She has her own apartment-like room. The staff seems to be competent and friendly, and caring. My aunt said that she likes the other residents as well. She also said that the food and activities were very good. I think that it is a good place to live.

Posted by kalamop February 17, 2012
3.0

My mother Phyllis became a resident around 5 years ago after my father died. On the outside it appears to be very nice with groomed grounds and green grass. As you enter the lobby, it also gives the impression of a pleasant, professional facility. There are large fish tanks, house plants and pleasant music. But over the course of time, I have become disturbed with the care my mother has received there. The meals we got on a Sunday was terrific the first time. However, after my mother became a resident, the meals were skimpy and very institutional. Service was extremely slow, and each meal took around a hour and a half to complete. They could not keep hired a cook or servers because they were paid minimum wage. So my mother was spending half her life in the cafeteria each day. As a positive, they did have some activities such as bingo, which she enjoyed. Before they cut from the budget, they would have a bus available to go to the Indian casino once a month. They have a outside hairdresser come in once a week also. The caregivers were also around 18-20 with little work experience. One person dropped my mother helping her into the shower. She broke her toe, but the caregiver claimed my mother slipped when she talked with a supervisor. But the absolute thing that happened there was my mother had a major stroke while a resident. I live in another town, she called me that night and said she had fallen. Her speech was slurred, and I implored her to go to the hospital to be checked out. She said she was fine. I called back in 24 hours or so to check on her. The office said she had been taken to the hospital. When I called the hospital they told me she had had a stroke. I was so angry. The facility should have seen the symptoms and taken her to the hospital immediately, instead of waiting. I also felt guilty I had not driven over there and taken her myself. She is still living at that facility because this is where her friends are. I still find the care there going down in quality all the time. Outside of a conscientious care worker or two, I despise going there to visit here.

Location of Spring Valley Assisted Living Residence