Cost

Starting at $3,095/mo. - $7,995/mo. (ALZ)

Payment Options

Private pay

Availability

Accepting inquiries

From Atria Riverdale

At Atria Riverdale, seniors can enjoy quiet residential community living in the Bronx, just a short trip away from the heart of invigorating New York City (NYC). Every day, residents will have opportunities to participate in cultural and educational seminars, fitness classes, and religious services. To further encourage an independent living community atmosphere, seniors will be given the opportunity to simply relax and socialize with friends. Meals are designed to fit your needs, including kosher dining.

Atria Senior Living builds vibrant retirement and independent communities that provide seniors with comfort, companionship and a better quality of life in their later years. Our goal is to always create an environment where older people thrive, where loneliness and isolation are behind them, and where families and friends feel secure their loved ones are protected and fulfilled. This doesn't happen by accident. Behind the warmth and welcome of an Atria Senior Living community are pages of protocols, standards and metrics - and a real investment, on everybody's part, in doing what is right.

Atria Senior Living is one of the nation's leading providers of independent living, supportive living, assisted living and memory care services. Home to more than 13,000 older Americans in 27 states, Atria communities provide respectful, quality services designed to promote independence and help seniors enjoy fulfilling lifestyles. Our goal is to provide environments where older people flourish, where loneliness and isolation are forgotten, and where families feel confident that their aging members are secure and thriving.

Reviews of Atria Riverdale

Posted by Rita19 April 01, 2014

I would really recommend Atria Riverdale to the one who has the money to pay because it was too much for my budget. I couldn't get my loved one there. The facility was gorgeous. The place was very clean. We visited the dementia unit. It was nice. People had their own rooms. It was big. Some people painted and decorated it to their tastes. Most of the people who are there were famous people. There was a lady there; she used to be an actress. She has a picture of when she was young in a horror movie. The gentleman who gave us the tour was nice. The people were very attentive. As a matter of fact, they gave us a baked apple pie from the premises.

Posted by caring79244050 March 26, 2014
3.0

Atria Riverdale is the first one I visited. The lady that gave us the tour was very friendly and nice. It looked clean, but old. It's also huge. The dining room was very beautiful, it looked like a hotel dining room, but that's the only thing that's nice. There was one room filled with 29 people, sitting just behind each other. There was one man conducting with music on screen. The people were sleeping and they looked very sick. They could get something comfortable like they're living at home. It's also pricey for me.

Posted by Atria Riverdale getting steadily worse January 14, 2014
2.0

We were very hopeful when we had our mom move into Atria. She's been there more than two years and remains there because she has made so many friends among the residents and staff. The care-providers in general are deeply caring and committed to keeping her happy and comfortable. Her aids have been consistently outstanding and extremely capable and caring. Clearly they are under-appreciated and treated with disrespect by management. While the care-providers do the "REAL" (and often nasty) work, management regularly implements new policy changes that make their work more difficult. Now, suddenly, care providers are no longer allowed to give out their charge's medication. Rather, the resident must go down to the nurse's office to be medicated. OUR MOTHER WAS MIS-MEDICATED, given the WRONG MEDICATIONS at the nurse's office. If it hadn't been for her aid, this would have gone unnoticed. Did they thank her? Did they interact with us? No. They simply tried to sweep it under the rug. The food is also pathetically bad. Frequently they run out of staples like orange juice, coffee, or eggs for breakfast and mom has to order in. Often they run out of food at dinner as well. Luckily mom keeps her refrigerator stocked, but at Atria's prices she shouldn't have to. There is also no allowance made for people who are NOT kosher or jewish. They are forced to eat kosher foods and during the high holy days mom's non-jewish friends have often gone hungry or been forced to eat out. There are THREE kitchens in the facility. Something could be done to provide for non-kosher residents, even if it were as simple as pizza ordered in and served in one of the other dining areas. Management is unresponsive and disorganized. We have trouble being connected to the right person when we need to, and they often don't know what they're talking about and clearly think of their residents as commodities rather than persons. Changeover is very frequent ("chronic" is the word) and we are rarely informed of policy changes or certain important decisions we should be CONSULTED on since they immediately effect our mom. We are realizing we need to be much more proactive in order to keep our mom's quality of life acceptable. Housekeeping is adequate and erratic - no better than that - and mom had underclothing supplies STOLEN from her apartment. Activities are also chaotic. The daily activities calendar is often wrong, and events scheduled don't actually happen or are poorly run. Now, suddenly, aids are no longer permitted to stay with their patients during activities. Road trips have been cancelled many times because they were mis-scheduled for days when residents couldn't actually go due to religious observances. Transportation, although provided for free within a five-mile radius has often been unreliable, late, and the previous driver surly. We chose this Atria because of its location, the need to find someplace quickly, and because of a positive first impression it has failed to live up to. We were even sent home with a delicious apple pie we were told was "baked on the premises." It was NOT, and we haven't seen it in the resident's dining room since. All in all, a very disappointing experience. We would move mom out tomorrow but we fear it would be too unsettling for her now that she's made so many friends. But we may be forced to anyway as our frustration level grows and grows.

Posted by Yvette4 November 22, 2013

I wish I could afford Atria because this place was gorgeous! From their corridors to their restaurants, it looked like a five-star hotel. They have a mini café there where patients can go and it was the cutest little thing. There were beautiful restaurants there where everyday they change their menus. They also have beautiful rooms. Their one-bedroom small apartments have their own bathrooms, little bedrooms, little living rooms. They were very small but they looked like a room from Hilton Hotel. This place looked happy. They have a movie room and I was able to go in and saw some of the elderly patients watching a movie. They even have a community room where they have their patients visit once or twice a week and have "conversations." Like two or three times a week, they'll start a conversation, e.g., political conversation, to get their minds going.

Posted by Marna Halpern November 21, 2013
4.0

My mom is at Atria and she's very happy there. They have activities like music concerts, crafts, movies every night, different kinds of games, mind exercises and field trips. They have different sizes of rooms according to price. You can have a very small studio or a very large one-bedroom apartment. I think the people that work there are wonderful. They are very warm and engaging. However, my mom sometimes gets frustrated because sometimes there is something she needs in her apartment or there is something not working and she has to ask several times. But our experience has been pretty good and my mother loves the food.

Posted by Dedicated God-daughter August 13, 2013

We visited this residence and were warmly greeted by our tour guide. We were offered tea/coffee and something to snack on upon our arrival. We spoke briefly about my Godmother and why we were visiting Atria as a possible residence that could provide a warm encouraging environment as well as provide medication management. We had the opportunity to look around before being shown Studio, One Bedroom and One bedroom Deluxe apartments. We visited the dining room and very briefly chatted with residents. We were shown the vast activity calendar and had the opportunity to be introduced to staff members. They indicated that they enjoyed working at Atria and were sure that our loved one would enjoy living at the Atria. There was the opportunity to travel in the elevator with residents and family members. There was an aura of happiness and calm. The residence was clean and we left with the feeling that our Godmother would enjoy and flourish at the Atria. This was also a residence that I would consider living in because there is independent , assisted living and continued care available in this community. We left placing Atria at the top of our list of strong possibilities. We received a warm thank you gift just prior to our departure on a rainy afternoon.

Posted by Sussanna July 29, 2013
2.0

My grandmother has been at this facility for a number of years. We have seen many changes over time and they are mostly negative changes. There is a high turnover of senior management. The executive directors come and go. Recently, a lot of other staff members left or were transferred to other facilities. Thus, no one is accountable. The dining room has no permanent supervisor. The dining staff is often surly and impatient with the elderly residents. The food is mediocre. As the Atria becomes more "corporate", it has begun to nickel and dime the residents for many items and has become stingier with cleaning, linens, etc. They have become a regulated assisted living facility and I understand that they are following certain guidelines, however, some of the humanity that used be present, is lost. There is a colder feel to the personnel. The nursing/ aide care is also a major problem. Residents are being told that those who need health aides must go "on service" with the in-house group. We are familiar with some of the aides that have been hired and do not find them competent or caring. Another issue for the families is that there is no forum for family members to compare notes and discuss issues that they have in common which would need to be addressed by management. My grandmother pays quite a lot to be at the Atria, but there a many issues that are not satisfactory.

Posted by Madelin1 July 25, 2013

Atria Riverdale is a very nice place. The staff is excellent. They got three meals a day plus a snack bar that's open 24 hours. They provide assistance as needed. It's the right place for my mother-in-law.

Posted by Richard30 July 25, 2013
4.0

My mother is already in Atria Riverdale. I chose this facility because of their pricing, the proximity to my residence, the cleanliness and the facility management. In general, I'm very pleased with them. Everything is very efficient, very well-organized and very diversified. The room that she is in is considered a one-bedroom apartment but it really is like a large studio with a divided wall. They have many activities for their residents. They have arts and crafts, poetry readings, trivial pursuit games, and dominos. They also have movie every night. They also got chair aerobics and stretching exercises. This facility also provides car service that takes the residents to a local senior center, the YMCA and to mass every Sunday morning. I have had my lunch there and I would have to say that their food is fair to good. It is not restaurant-quality type, although it is a kosher facility.

Posted by eroshevsky June 13, 2013

Atria Riverdale is a very luxurious place. I had lunch there and it was wonderful. The person who showed me around was very nice. They even gave me an apple pie to take home and I was very enthusiastic except that when I got home, I figured out that I couldn't afford it.

Posted by maryatria March 26, 2013
1.0

The food is often spoiled, looks unappleaing, smells, undercooked, overcooked and hot food, served cold. Although about 90% of the waitstaff tries very hard to please, the dining staff keeps getting cut and service takes an extremely long time. Tables aren't set timely and often lacking equipment, which makes service even longer. There is no one to deliver if you need room service - although this an offered pay per use service, there is no one to do it. The housekeepers do as little as possible. Lose your laundry? No big deal. They will give you someone elses. The always changing administration is totally non-responsisve. The general staff is helpful and caring. There is a decent variety of activities. As a whole, the place is disjointed, disorganized, understaffed and overwhelmed.

Posted by Caring2363 March 22, 2013
2.0

Atria Riverdale was becoming expensive with a rate of US $4,000 per month. I am not very happy because they have gotten diferent executive directors over the past 2 years, and nobody seemed to last a couple of months. The satff was nice, but the services were not. Housekeeping was atrcious. They never came to clean the room when they said they would. It was an apartment building but it was very old. The rooms were small and simple. The activities were okay and the food was average. But they don't get enough salads and vegetables. They give potatoes and things that are unhealthy.

Posted by pedro abreu October 19, 2011

The Assited Living Home was great for my grandma. She felt happy and safe in the home with good assistance at all hours! When we went to the faculty to visit, I was suprised at how beautiful her room was, it looked like a hotel suite.! I was very jealous but happy she was ecstatic. The assistance and support speak my grandma first language, which will understand her concerns and comments. The price is also not to expensive and is good enough for my family to afford. I am more than proud my grandma feels happy, safe and comfortable at this luxury home. I recommend to all seniors in help or in need! The people who assist the seniors will be right at your door before you know it, either because you need company, help or feel discomfort. I do recommend Astria Riverdale to all seniors in need in the Bronx! There no better offer to take.

Posted by Mockingjay October 14, 2011
4.0

This facility was absolutely perfect for my grandmother. We couldn't really find a decent place to put her because the either costs were too high or she just didn't like the place. She's very particular about these things and where she stays. But anyway, this is a wonderful environment, the rooms are wonderful, and it's very affordable. My only gripe is some of the staff members can be rude to the visitors. I don't understand why. Sure, I understand if you're having a bad day, but you should at least try to remain professional since you're at work. I believe if some of them work on this, I would rate this 5 stars. So all in all, I would definitely recommend this place for your elderly. Just be wary of the grumpy staff members.

Posted by CeasarS July 31, 2011
4.0

This Assisted Living Facility was the perfect fit for our dear Grandpa. We searched everywhere for a suitable assisted living facility for him, but ran into many problems. Some high-brow assisted living facilities were too expensive, and others had no Spanish speaking residents and/or workers. We wanted our Grandpa to feel comfortable and free to speak in his first language, so we brought him to this Bronx Assisted Living Facility, Atria Riverdale. The employees are very kind and there always seems like there is something to do for our dear Grandpa.

Posted by Home Health PT July 28, 2011
4.0

The Atria is one of the first assisted living facilities established in the heart of Riverdale. I have been able to come and work with different patients who are residents here, a few times and through the years their standards had never change. They have a very nice , feel at home ambiance throughout the bldg. The staff and personnel are all helpful and pleasant. Most especially I find the people who lives there very happy and satisfied. They also have a specialized memory care unit that cares for your loved ones who are diagnosed with dementia. The care is exemplary and the place is worth looking in to.

Location of Atria Riverdale