Assisted Living Facilities in Oklahoma
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in Oklahoma. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in Oklahoma
What they're called
Official name: Assisted Living Centers
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual or shared (up to two persons) living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments) with some cooking facilities
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- General and nursing supervision
- Intermittent nursing care
- Administration of or assistance with medications
- Personal care services, including help with transfer and ambulation and other activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, bathing
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $2,747.50 (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State of Oklahoma requirements
- Each facility defines the level of care it will provide, within state guidelines, and may not accept a resident who has needs beyond the facility's chosen level of care.
- If a resident develops needs beyond the facility's level of care, the facility, the resident, and the resident's doctor together must determine the accommodations and services required to allow the resident to remain in the facility. If the facility doesn't agree to meet these additional needs, the resident may be discharged.
- Facilities and/or residents may contract with licensed home health agencies, and residents may directly contract for hospice and/or intermittent nursing care as prescribed by the resident's physician.
- Bathroom facilities may be shared.
State of Oklahoma oversight
The Oklahoma Department of Health, Protective Health Services (405-271-6868) oversees assisted living centers.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the Oklahoma long-term care ombudsman at 405-521-6734; this is a free service to help residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
- To register a complaint about a facility, contact Oklahoma's Protective Health Services online or by phone at 800-747-8419.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in Oklahoma
- Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
- For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents, Oklahoma's home and community-based services programs pay part of the monthly fees for personal care services provided in participating facilities.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
- Ada, OK
- Altus, OK
- Ardmore, OK
- Bartlesville, OK
- Bethany, OK
- Bixby, OK
- Broken Arrow, OK
- Chickasha, OK
- Choctaw, OK
- Claremore, OK
- Clinton, OK
- Coweta, OK
- Cushing, OK
- Del City, OK
- Duncan, OK
- Durant, OK
- Edmond, OK
- El Reno, OK
- Elk City, OK
- Enid, OK
- Glenpool, OK
- Guthrie, OK
- Jenks, OK
- Lawton, OK
- MIDWEST CITY, OK
- MOORE, OK
- Miami, OK
- Muskogee, OK
- Mustang, OK
- Norman, OK
- Canadian County, OK
- Carter County, OK
- Cleveland County, OK
- Comanche County, OK
- Craig County, OK
- Custer County, OK
- Garfield County, OK
- Grady County, OK
- Jackson County, OK
- Kay County, OK
- Mcclain County, OK
- Muskogee County, OK
- Oklahoma County, OK
- Osage County, OK