Top nearby Assisted Living Facilities:

Reviews of Bellaken Garden

Posted by Anonymous1608 July 10, 2013
3.0

Our relatives living in Oakland found Bellaken Garden for his dad. The place has assisted living and skilled nursing. It is fine, not very good but it's okay. The staff is friendly and the food is good.

Posted by DutifulGranddaughter June 09, 2012

My grandmother has lived here for over three years and I have found that their workers are truly caring toward the residents. I have visited my grandmother every week especially the past 8 months or so and I always watch how their caregivers work with other residents (since I always go at lunch time, I get to watch residents getting their meals and caregivers serving the meals, and helping residents who need help with feeding. The administrators also seem caring and nice and assure me that they don't mind getting calls from me asking about my grandmother or even asking what she would like me to bring her to eat when I visit. I agree with other reviewers in that this place is old and doesn't look upbeat, but it is wonderful for those who need Chinese-speaking caregivers. The food is a frequent complaint as well ... but maybe anyone can get tired of any kind of "cafeteria food" after a while? I feel comfortable that my grandmother is in good hands living here.

Posted by emc2 October 31, 2011
4.0

The staffs were all professional, very caring and friendly to the residents and their families. The facility overall will give a feeling that you are home and that everybody is family.

Posted by DrJames'Corner July 21, 2011
4.0

Bellaken Garden offer both assisted living and skilled nursing. I've referred three residents there, and it's been a good fit.

One of the things I like about them is that they have hospice on site. That can be a good thing, since moving can be painful and traumatic.

Bellaken Garden is in Oakland, close to the Oakland Hills. It's a serene area--secluded, on a hillside, very parklike, with views of the foothills. It's beautiful but not close to shopping.

The have apartments for assisted living and room for skilled nursing. The apartments come in four floor plans. The facility itself is older but well kept up, and the ground are beautiful. They have 58 beds for assisted living. It's a gated community, and they have gardens and flowers like you wouldn't believe.

The staff is exceptional. There's little turnover, and they well trained.

The activities program is okay -- not the best but adequate. it's 7 days a week, from about 9 am to 4 pm, and they have a social worker assigned to each resident.

The residents I've referred there all say the food is very good. They don't offer a lot of choice, but they have three meals a day.

Posted by 2helpinghands May 10, 2011
3.0

As assisted living facilities in the Bay Area go, Bellaken Garden is quite affordable. And it has skilled nursing available, which is nice, since it means residents don't have to leave when they need that level of care.

Historically, it has appealed mostly to an Asian clientele (mostly Chinese), which makes it a good fit culturally and linguistically for that population.

The facility itself, though, is old and a little dreary. And I've heard mostly bad reviews of the food.

Overall, it has an institutional feeling - not homey at all.

I do refer people there, though"”for affordability and for cultural fit.

Location of Bellaken Garden