Assisted Living Facilities in Maine
Caring.com can help you find the best Assisted Living Facility in Maine. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.
A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in Maine
What they're called
Official name: Assisted Housing Programs, including assisted living programs and residential care facilities
Common name: Assisted living facilities
To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.
What they offer
- Individual living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments), often with cooking facilities
- All meals, usually in a common dining area
- Health and medication monitoring, as well as administration of medications
- Nursing services
- Personal care services: Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing)
- Social and exercise activities
Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.
What they cost
Median monthly fees: $4,625 for private one-bedroom (higher for residents requiring memory care)
State of Maine requirements
- A facility may engage outside agencies or people to provide services.
- Assessment of resident's condition needs to be made within 30 days of admission and updated thereafter.
- Shared bathrooms and bathing facilities are permitted.
- All facilities with special Alzheimer's/dementia care units must offer regular activities such as gross motor skills, self-care, and sensory enhancement activities.
State of Maine oversight
The Maine state Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services, Medical Facilities Unit (207-287-9300) licenses and regulates assisted housing programs.
How to resolve problems or offer feedback
- Contact the Maine long-term care ombudsman (800-499-0229); this is a free service to help residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
- Call the customer support assistance line of the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services, at 800-383-2441.
- Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in Maine
- Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
- For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents, Maine's MaineCare home and community-based waiver program pays part of the cost of services provided by participating facilities. The amount of payment depends on the level of services needed.
- Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
- Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
- Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see Caring.com's Senior Living Directory.
- For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.
- Auburn, ME
- Augusta, ME
- Bangor, ME
- Bath, ME
- Belfast, ME
- Berwick, ME
- Biddeford, ME
- Brewer, ME
- Brunswick, ME
- Buxton, ME
- Cape Elizabeth, ME
- Eliot, ME
- Ellsworth, ME
- Fairfield, ME
- Falmouth, ME
- Farmington, ME
- Freeport, ME
- Gorham, ME
- Gray, ME
- Hampden, ME
- Kennebunk, ME
- Kittery, ME
- Lewiston, ME
- Lisbon, ME
- Old Orchard Beach, ME
- Old Town, ME
- Orono, ME
- Portland, ME
- Rockland, ME
- Rumford, ME
- Saco, ME
- Sanford, ME
- Androscoggin County, ME
- Aroostook County, ME
- Cumberland County, ME
- Franklin County, ME
- Hancock County, ME